Plain Dress

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would go for the modest long skirts and more feminine blouses. I think I would prefer cottons, small print florals.

More of the pioneer style. Not necessarily based on religious beliefs.

There was a blog someone linked to a couple years back. A beautiful young black woman.. She wore flowing white blouses and period clothing. I loved it. I wish I could remember the blog.

I have been trying to make just the right skirt to bridge that gap between modern style and traditional. I can't quite get it.

:idunno

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I would go for the modest long skirts and more feminine blouses. I think I would prefer cottons, small print florals.

There was a blog someone linked to a couple years back. A beautiful young black woman.. She wore flowing white blouses and period clothing. I loved it. I wish I could remember the blog.

I have been trying to make just the right skirt to bridge that gap between modern style and traditional. I can't quite get it.

I'm with you Gina. If you figure it out let me know, and I'll do the same! Part of it for me is that I find a long, loose cotton skirt extremely comfortable.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:

Yup. Been down that road. I appreciate the muslima style of long skirts. Fun to copy and modify.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
It's why I'm pushing myself to sew more. I can't find what I want in the stores! I have two super long skirts that aren't overly full, which doesn't look good on me. They are pretty, solid colors, but stretchy. I like them but can't wear them in the hot months. I bought some cotton fabric to try to imitate the general shape. If it works I'll have half my Easter outfit!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did that. I found a straight skirt at the good will. Not really my print style but had a nice fit. Flat across the front with a basic folded waistline. The back had the gathers and a bit of elastic. Straight sides, and two small slits on the side seams. Very simple. I copied it. Well I tried to. I ended up with a gathered waist all around. Oops. Not good. And I forgot the side slits. Made walking almost impossible. :he

I will try again.

So BB why do you ask? Are you thinking of making us all skirts for summer?? ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm size 10!!! :frow :lol: PM for shipping addy :lol:

I love some of the things I have seen you all make on here! :love

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I did that. I found a straight skirt at the good will. Not really my print style but had a nice fit. Flat across the front with a basic folded waistline. The back had the gathers and a bit of elastic. Straight sides, and two small slits on the side seams. Very simple. I copied it. Well I tried to. I ended up with a gathered waist all around. Oops. Not good. And I forgot the side slits. Made walking almost impossible. :he

I will try again.

So BB why do you ask? Are you thinking of making us all skirts for summer?? ;)
:lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I just find it to be a fascinating conversation to have!
I have dressed in various degrees of plain dress for well over ten years now.
Started out and continued very Anabaptist for many years, and now, I do the more fashionable version.
Even cute flared jeans under knee length dresses and Kuspuks.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Maybe it's just that I want to live in an area where I wouldn't stand out if I dressed the way I want to. Mind you, I'm better than I used to be about not caring what people thought. I am not fashionable by any means, but I am still searching for my style. Something that's comfortable and that I think looks decent on me.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Maybe it's just that I want to live in an area where I wouldn't stand out if I dressed the way I want to. Mind you, I'm better than I used to be about not caring what people thought. I am not fashionable by any means, but I am still searching for my style. Something that's comfortable and that I think looks decent on me.
I think for anyone that is not in a community that prescribes uniformity, it is an ongoing process to figure it out.

Latest posts