Pork fat rules! Freemotion drools! More ideas, please...

MysticScorpio82

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Most of these recipes I have gathered online and added into my own little "recipe box" (a notebook document on my computer). I apologize I don't have the website references.

I am also going on the assumption you have lard (rendered pig fat) rather than chunks of fat :D If not there is an easy "how-to" homesicktexan.blogspot.com (that's how I do it anyway)

You can add any essential oil that you wish to either recipe. I admit it, I am in love with floral scents so I do different combo.s You will use between 1/4- 1 Oz of essential oil, depending on how soft or strong you want your scent
--------------------------
Basic Soap:

6 pounds of rendered animal fat
4 cups of cold water
12 ounces pure lye

1) Heat the fat in an 8-quart stainless steel pot on low heat until it has melted and has reached the temperature of 110 degrees F

2)While melting the fats, pour four and a half cups of soft water into the stainless steel saucepan. Carefully add the lye to the water, stirring gently with a plastic spoon. Be careful not to inhale the fumes. Set the mixture aside to cool to 85 degrees.

3) Make sure the fat is 110 degrees Fahrenheit, and the lye-water mixture is 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Then slowly pour the lye and water into the fat, stirring constantly. You want to pour the lye and water slowly into the fat. That keeps it from splashing and also helps it to mix better.
Continue stirring for at least 30 minutes to one hour. The mixture will begin to thicken and resemble a thin pudding. When your spoon feels like it can stand on its own and a few drops leave a pattern on the surface of the soap, pour the mixture into the mold.

4)Set it aside in a draft-free area for 24 to 48 hours. It will take up to two days for the entire mixture to convert into soap. After 24 hours, check your soap. When you can easily make a dent in the soap by pressing firmly with your finger, the soap is ready to cut. Don't wait until your soap is too hard or it will be impossible to cut.

When your cut bars are hard enough, remove them from the mold and allow them to cure for six weeks.
---------------

Extra Moist Soap Recipe

Recipe Ingredients
8 ounces lard
0.75 ounce beeswax
8 ounces coconut oil
8 ounces olive oil
4 ounces shea butter
3.75 ounces lye
10 ounces water
1 teaspoons sea salt

Soap Making Directions

Prepare lye for soap making by the usual method, and leave it till the temperature cools down to 100 F. In a clean saucepan, slightly melt lard, beeswax and coconut oil. Then, mix them with olive oil, shea butter and sea salt. Agitate the concoction by continuous stirring for 5 minutes, so that the ingredients are evenly mixed. Following this, pour lye into the saucepan containing oil mixture. After mixing, add this lye soap base into an appropriate sized mold. Within 24-72 hours, your soap will be hardened and ready for cutting.
------------

Holachicka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Quick question: How long will bacon grease drippings keep in the fridge? Do you just go by smell?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I finally did it. I made popcorn last night and put melted bacon grease on it. Topped it with grated aged feta.

HOLY COW IT WAS GOOD!!!!! :drool

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I TOLD you so! yes, that was my idea and I'm taking credit for it :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Before that popcorn, I was thinking....gotta really use up some of this bacon grease. After eating it, I was thinking.....oh, crap, we have hardly any bacon grease!!! :lol: