Pork fat rules! Freemotion drools! More ideas, please...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have an abundance of pork fat in my cupboards and fridge. Now my dad is giving me jars of the most beautiful bacon fat from our pastured pigs, along with jars of bacon fat that is building up in our fridge.

So I got to thinking....it is a fat with a much better profile than commercial butter or ANYTHING available commercially, so what can I use it for that I would normally reach for another type of fat?

Well, the lonely bottle of olive oil will probably go rancid before it is used up now!

I need to make WZ's bacon mayo recipe. Where is that link, WZ? Can you do us all a big favor and repost it here? Maybe do your now-famous copy/paste/quote? Pretty please? :D

I recently made a grilled cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread and slathered the bread generously with bacon fat instead of the usual butter. HOLY HOG! It was the best sandwich! It was able to be grilled longer without burning, making for a delightfully crispy outer layer of bread with a ooey-gooey cheese inside, and the color of the bread was the perfect medium brown (like my husband! :lol: )

I do cook greens and beans and green beans with salt pork, but I always buttered steamed veggies, especially frozen veggies. We use frozen spinach for a quick veggie. It is SO MUCH BETTER with a glob of bacon fat on it rather than butter.

I use it in pie crusts for pot pie and in breads....made an amazing pizza crust two nights ago.

It is wonderful in biscuits. I would use a more neutral lard for biscuits that were destined to be used with fruit in shortcake, however.

I fry everything in it....made a big batch of spaghetti sauce and saute'd the onions and garlic in bacon grease.

I herb it and toss root veggie sticks in it for oven roasting.

What else? Our butter purchases have gone down, but I am looking for ideas to lower those purchases even more. I love butter, so I tend to reach for it first. Maybe I'll try popcorn "buttered" with bacon grease tonight! :p

Dirk Chesterfield

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Any food tastes better fried in lard. Okra, squash and onion rings are favorites around here.

You also can fry fish then chips in lard and the flavors don't transfer.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mandieg4 said:
Great, now I'm starving!
Ditto..

Now I want a bacon sandwhich.. LOL

ETA.. I alway cook my bacon first. Then cook my fried eggs and hashbrowns in the bacon grease. Makes them taste so much better.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have to remember to grab the bacon grease jar when I cook eggs for breakfast. I don't have bacon for breakfast so I usually forget.

C'mon, people, put on your thinking caps! I know there is unexplored gastronomic territory out there, since I just had the light bulb moment with the grilled cheese sandwich....Bacon grease is usually precious here. I'm not used to having so much of it, and not having to think about all the chemicals and limiting it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, WZ! Anymore ideas I haven't thought of?

1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup liquid bacon fat

Combine the egg yolk, mustard and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food processor or in a blender and process to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
Have the bacon fat liquid, but not hot. With the machine running, gradually the bacon fat until the mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add the fat more quickly. If the mayonnaise is too thick, just blend in 1 teaspoon of boiling water to thin it. Taste and adjust the seasoning.