Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Our goal has changed! We want to have our hog pen done by the end of summer...that's give us 3 months to build it, but might take longer with DH's back surgery coming up....

New goal is to have a pair of heritage pigs by fall!!!! ;)

We haven't chosen our spot for the hog lot yet, but we did price hog panels today and talked with a friend on how they did their shelter for their pigs.

So what we're thinking of doing is making a two sided pig barn...Not a huge one, but big enough for 2 rooms. There will be a run off both rooms to give the pigs their yard area for mudding, playing, or whatever it is pigs just do until they are ate. :lol: The other side will be for my sow when she farrows and until her piglets are weaned. This way I can have my sow and her piglets separated from the boar.

DH said we'll put up some electric fence to keep the piggies in and it will be a solar set up...Not sure how to explain that part, but he knows what he meant...I have the clue, just no idea how to explain it...Our fence will be electrified using solar energy....Ah there I explained it LOL

Next step, research heritage pig breeds and make a decision...and find a local breeder! Or better yet, pray for God to show us what He wants! :thumbsup

In other news, my Narragansett hatched her clutch today! She was setting 13 eggs, and so far 12 have hatched, and the 13th is pipped!!!! :ya Turkey Poults!!!!!! And they are so cute ya'll!! Half of them are yellow like Royal Palm poults would be and the rest are brown like Narragansetts would be. Real cute. I'll get pics later.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on your decision to raise Heritage Hogs. Might I put a " bee in your ear" on a breed?? Look into the Giant Blacks. Man are they some pretty pigs!! Big old floppy ears cover thier face...and supposed to be GREAT at farrowing. Also, these hogs are good in a pasture setting, as they graze...and not so much rooting. hopefully in a year or two..when we can get our woods fenced, we will be getting a pair of them. We have a simple lot now, for raiseing freezer hogs....just a 20 x 30 area, under a pin oak willow, with a crate to get into for shelter. We have raised 3 in there so far..and hopeing to get a few more soon!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thank you, justusnak! I'll look into them.

I've been curious about what my FIL calls Belts?? He said they are black with a white stripe...kind of like the cows...those aren't hte same as the Giant Blacks are they?

I'll do some research on the Giant Blacks. I want something that will farrow well, but be gentle, too, so my kids won't be scared of "what's for dinner." :gig

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

My FIL wasn't too encouraging...trying to convince me that it's cheaper to just buy two and raise them up for butcher...he says I don't need to breed them.... :smack He just doesn't get it!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember reading an article aobout those giant blacks. I'll check my countryside's and see if it was there. They are huge and supposed to be very docile.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Gratz on the turkey poults!!

There was an article about pig breeds in Grit, the march/april one, it has the sizes, characteristics, and functions.

The breeds it has listed are American Yorkshire, Berkshire, Chester White, Choctaw, Duroc, Gloucestershire Old Spot, Guinea, Hampshire, Hereford, Large Black, Mulefoot, Ossabaw Island, Poland China, Red Wattle, Spotted, and Tamworth.

The Herefords are so cool, they have a coat that looks just like the cow.

Maybe your library or a friend has it, it helped me decide what kind of pigs we want when we get them.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We have 13 poults!!!!!!! The last one just hatched a couple hours ago. I'm so thrilled!

I am going to work on uploading pictures of the poults in a few minutes with their mama to show ya'll.

I'm researching the pigs a bit...so far I am kind of leaning towards the Red Wattle, but we'll see because the Large Black are on the criticial list, and it would be neat to be a part of conserving a breed...