Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Paying it forward.....I love it, Aly! Like the sound of your neighbor and it is lovely that you are of the same nature and pass on your good fortune. I find that paying it forward always makes me feel good and good things come my way as a result. :)

I'm sure that little gal is telling someone right now about her wonderful friend who helped her with some donated items......and maybe she will pass that on and it will continue to ripple like pretty stones tossed into a pond.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Paying it forward.....I love it, Aly! Like the sound of your neighbor and it is lovely that you are of the same nature and pass on your good fortune. I find that paying it forward always makes me feel good and good things come my way as a result. :)

I'm sure that little gal is telling someone right now about her wonderful friend who helped her with some donated items......and maybe she will pass that on and it will continue to ripple like pretty stones tossed into a pond.
Well, we've certainly been blessed these last few months, not just here on our farm, but by people God has set in our path through this site.

I can't think of a better way to thank the people who've helped us, or shown us kindness, than to pass their kindness and generosity on to others. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Today DH and I had gone down to the spring to haul our water in. We noticed that the care taker for the spring had planted some beautiful petunias. I was admiring the flowers when the man who had planted them pulled in. I complimented him on his hard work, and he inquired if we were getting our water for household use. We said yes, and this led to an indepth conversation about our farm.

The coversation involved rabbits, goats, chickens, cows, and our garden...he asked if we were a large farm...we chuckled and said no, small hobby farm (he'd never heard the phrase hobby farm) and we explained that we only have 7 acres, but we grow most of our own food and do most of the work ourselves by hand.

This elderly gentleman had this look cross his face, and I've no better way to describe in than nostalgia, as he started to tell us about when he was a little boy and his mom raised rabbits and chickens for meat and eggs. The way he described it...really I have no words to explain the feelings of the conversation.

No offense meant to large farms with all the fancy machinery, but after meeting this gentleman, I've been wondering if something hasn't been lost in the farming community???

The man asked us if we enjoyed what we did, even though it is hard work and takes a lot of our time (and we don't get paid vacations!) We laughed and said, yes we do enjoy our livestyle. He then incredulously asked, "And you're happy?" Again, we replied yes. He seemed dumbfounded that a "young" couple were happy and excited about doing things "the old way."

DH started talking about our raspberries and blackberries that grow all over up here. The same nostalgic look passed over this man's face as he asked if we sell our raspberries. DH assured him that yes, we do. I told him that what we didn't sell I used in baking pies and sweets for the family and that this year I'll be learning how to make jams and jellies and canning some of our produce. Incredulous, this man asks us, "Where is this farm?!" We explained where we are, and then we parted ways.

This has me thinking, hmm, there's a local market here, at least in the elderly community, the ones who remember the farms that used to be in the area, that are now broken into house allotments, and I really think we should start tapping into that local market! I can totally see having fresh applebutter, jams, jellies, and fresh baked made from scratch pies! So I'm going to give it a go!!!

In other news, looks like we might be getting a pair of Khaki Call ducks and a pair of muscovies! Will know for sure tomorrow!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
People are starting to see why "the good old days" were so good! That's why people are starting to rave about farmer's markets, and grow their own gardens (even if it's in a pot on a balcony), have their own chickens, sew their own clothes and quilts, etc.

People that "get it" truly enjoy the lifestyle like we all do....I can't tell you how many times my husband has said to me in the last few months "I wish I could just have a big ol farm and just farm for a living". Knock me over with a feather! He's starting to appreciate the benefits of this lifestyle. Look how happy the people in the Foxfire books are! Good stuff!

I say go for it!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the more out of touch we are from nature the more many of us feel something missing. When I go to a city, I feel all weird. I've been to NYC, and Tokyo. I liked Tokyo more, and I've been trying to figure out why. It felt nicer for some reason. Then I realized that our hostel (not hotel) was located on the edge of a park. When we left each morning, we walked through a large, quiet area of trees.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, can you find that older gentleman again? He could be a great resource for you. I've gotten so much great info simply by stimulating the memories of older ones who lived on farms or who at least did a few things the way I want to. I'd invite him for a tour, and pump him for stories! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Keep talking, Quail! That is how I got most of the wonderful stuff I have given to me, like the wheat, the cattle racks, the fencing, the canning jars and paraphenalia, wood, etc.

When people ask how I come about all these good things, I always tell them word of mouth. Whenever anyone ask where I live~and they do every day! :rolleyes: ~I proceed to tell them where, what animals I have, about my garden, etc. This leads to more questions and they tell 10 other people and so on.

Word of mouth is the best advertisement in small communities. When they find out how I'm living, they tell someone that has something I may need or someone that wants what I am producing.

That's how I got the hand pump I'll be getting.....a $260 pump...for FREE!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, that reminds me, the older couple that I enjoy talking to at our worship services gave me another three boxes of the glass-top jars. Perfect for my tea garden project! They have been slowly "testing" me to see if I am putting their stuff to good use.....so I am sure to report back when the jars are all full, or what I plan to do with them. I prime the pump with yogurt, cheese, and other goodies that the wifey, almost blind now, can no longer make herself. I ask lots of questions and tell lots of my adventures. I got some Greek oregano plants from them this week! I only had one, and it was my favorite, I had been giving my other oregano plants away, now I have three!

His five-gallon pail will go back on Sunday with a dozen eggs in it, and another quart of yogurt. Prime the pump. We each think we are getting the better part of the deal! Oooo, I'll have to ask him where I can find free buckets and some concrete reinforcing stuff to make tomato cages. Bet he'll show up with some, and then they will get the goat's milk soap....

These people are too rare. Invite them into your life whenever you can. It is truly a two-way relationship that all parties enjoy. But I'm preachin' to the choir, I know! :lol: