Raw Honey

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually just signed up for a class (kind of a bee 101) that the local bee association is having so hopefully I'll be able to network there for bees, supplies and some honey until I can get mine up and running. :woot

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Thats the way to do it Kala.You may want to talk to the beek(beekeeper)doing the 101 class as soon as possible about reserving some bees for yourself, if you haven't already done so.
Nucs and packages sell out pretty fast in the spring.It took me awhile to find some bees locally, and i started looking the first week of Feb...! Good luck, honeybees are fun,but be sure to find a place that they can have peace and quiet, exposing the hive entrance to the east-southeast for the morning sun.It's not really a good idea to put them to close to where children are playing, and alot of noise..
Honeybees are great, but need thier own space, as they can get very angry, if they precieve childs play near their hive as a threat...Just my two cents..:)

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Thats the way to do it Kala.You may want to talk to the beek(beekeeper)doing the 101 class as soon as possible about reserving some bees for yourself, if you haven't already done so.
Nucs and packages sell out pretty fast in the spring.It took me awhile to find some bees locally, and i started looking the first week of Feb...! Good luck, honeybees are fun,but be sure to find a place that they can have peace and quiet, exposing the hive entrance to the east-southeast for the morning sun.It's not really a good idea to put them to close to where children are playing, and alot of noise..
Honeybees are great, but need thier own space, as they can get very angry, if they precieve childs play near their hive as a threat...Just my two cents..:)
Ohhh good idea! Thanks Kevs!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Does anyone get honey in the comb? I bought some of it at a farmers market this summer and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. A coworker mentioned some people spread it on toast. I tried eating some and it's pretty waxy. So what's up? How do you eat it?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Your welcome Kala, You can also check out Beesource.com Its probably one of the biggest honeybee communities online.
You can find tons of info there, regarding all aspects of beekeeping.Their are other smaller groups as well, with lots of good info...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
You chew it like gum! And then you spit off the wax, wash it off and make it into lip balm :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok so I found a local source for raw honey. Wild Sage. I plan to get some next week. She is selling in 4gallon buckets 2.10 per pound depending on weight at aprox 96.00 per bucket. Now she emphasized that it was crystallized. I can deal with that but does it mean the honey is old??

What about filtering? Should I ask how many times?

g

chandasue

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
FarmGirl said:
aggieterpkatie said:
\How do you eat it?
We just put a piece in our mouth and squeeze the honey out. When you are done just spit out the wax.

Yummm :drool
Ah, so you don't chew it up like I did? :lol:
I eat the wax. (maybe that's what's wrong with me...) :lol: I just take a chunk and mash it onto toast. :drool

Edit: I think I read somewhere it's good roughage. But it for sure is totally edible.

Latest posts