Red mange in dogs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats great news!! I too would love to see updated pics. I jsut know he is beautifull! And, LOVE the new name! :p

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm amazed you give him chicken wings. I thought dogs aren't suppose to have chicken bones. He eats them OK? I assume yes.
Should I give our dog chicken bones?

Lets have a pic!

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Aww, I'm glad your little guy is better!
One of mine, Mr. Kojak, had horrendous sarcoptic mange when I found him. He was known as Cap'n Scabby at the vet clinic where I was working :/
I had to go the pharmaceutical route, he was a disaster.
This is him after a few weeks of treatment, lol he was sooo ugly.
1338_koj1.jpg

Anyway, mange of any variety is the pits, I'm glad you got your pooch cleared up!

PS: Mr. Kojak is lovely and shiny today!

ETA: want to re-emphasize that this is a FOUND dog, I do not let my animals get this way :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Mackay said:
I'm amazed you give him chicken wings. I thought dogs aren't suppose to have chicken bones. He eats them OK? I assume yes.
Should I give our dog chicken bones?

Lets have a pic!
Mackay, it is the cooked bones that are dangerous. Raw bones (non weight bearing bones) are safe. :)

I edited to specify which bones were safe. (I have St. Bernards, so some bigger bones were fine for them, like neck bones.)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'm running off to work but wanted to quickly say....RAW chicken bones only, and non-weight-bearing....ribs and wings are best. Larger dogs can have necks. My dogs don't feel a need to break neck bones, and they caused a little "concern" once so no more necks for my little guys. I have a "feeding dogs" thread somewhere.

I want to respond to other comments, but later! Just didn't want any lurkers to hand over last night's dinner's chicken bones to their dogs!!! :ep

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My dog's dinning menue has just increased! He will be pleased.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We had a dog that developed demodectic mange as an adult. Our vet told us it indicated a suppresses immune system as mentioned by others here. It manifested itself as a small red patch in the middle of his snout that grew a little larger each day. The vet ran blood work which didn't show much and gave us an ointment that he said we could use until the spot reached Bear's eyes. We couldn't get it near his eyes because it was so toxic :/
I did some research on natural remedies and ended up finding a book specifically for pets. I used every natural immune booster in there, including kelp and brewers' yeast and I don't even remember what else. Sure enough the spot slowly started getting smaller and eventually went away. Bear was healthy and never had another problem with it. He lived many more happy years!\

Here's the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Com...r_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264556336&sr=8-12
He has a website as well: drpitcairn.com

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Henrietta, that looks like a book to own.
(Repeats to self, must not buy another book, must not buy another...)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Occamstazer said:
Henrietta, that looks like a book to own.
(Repeats to self, must not buy another book, must not buy another...)
Heh, good luck with that! (He has a website, but I do love to hold a book in my hands!)