Rooster value

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw an ad on Craigslist wherein someone is looking for a "heavy breed" rooster.

I have a few Plymouth Rock Roosters I could probably sell.

Any idea what they are worth for $ ?

They are about a year old.

Thanks for your input.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I see em posted around here for between $10 and $15.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ask them what they want to give for one!

Or suggest bartering. What to they have to trade?

Folks give roosters away around here. If someone's wanting one, I'd ask ten dollars or so.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd ask at least 10; more if it was a rare breed.
A young cockeral of slaughtering age would go for about that (maybe not quite), if he had any real meat on him, so a mature roo, would go for more if he was bought as a roo and not as meat. If they are just a nuisance that was meant to be killed younger but never tended and no one jumps at them, just get whatever you can or kill them for soups or stews.
If someone only has hens and decides they need fertile eggs, the roo is their most valueable chicken....I'd make them pay a bit. I mean you are multiplying their income, by allowing them that roo. I'd get either money or gumbo....one or the other.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL... wish you were closer! I'd trade 2 for 1... I got some mixed breed roos (8) I'd trade for a Plymouth Rock. I have 5 other roos too.... soon as my son finishes the chicken plucker.... there will be less! ;)

Look at CL and see if anyone is posting roos and go from there... if not I'd ask $15- $20 and negotiate down.

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For a purebred tame rooster who doesn't crow real loud or real often and is nice to his hens, you may be able to get $20 on a good day. If he's a fighting rooster folks will ask hundreds, I haven't a clue if they actually get that much or not, though. Technically around here chicken fighting is illegal although owning the fighting roosters isn't. Makes no sense to me, but I don't make the rules. If he's not a purebred nice tempered rooster nor someone's fancy fighting rooster, then you may have to pay someone to take him away. Folks bring me box fulls of roosters and they are real grateful that I take them. Usually they bring me several to half a dozen roosters along with another small box of whatever sort of extra produce they have at the time or a plate of cookies or something as a gift for taking away the noisy roosters. Works for me! Chicken soup cures crowing, too.

Actually, instead of selling those Plymouth Rock roosters, pluck the nicest of the neck and hackle feathers and wire them up to tiny clips and sell them as hair additions. You'll be able to get $10 per pair of feathers with clips on them. The roosters will grow more feathers, too. You may make more money growing feathers than eggs.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Niele da Kine said:
For a purebred tame rooster who doesn't crow real loud or real often and is nice to his hens, you may be able to get $20 on a good day. If he's a fighting rooster folks will ask hundreds, I haven't a clue if they actually get that much or not, though. Technically around here chicken fighting is illegal although owning the fighting roosters isn't. Makes no sense to me, but I don't make the rules. If he's not a purebred nice tempered rooster nor someone's fancy fighting rooster, then you may have to pay someone to take him away. Folks bring me box fulls of roosters and they are real grateful that I take them. Usually they bring me several to half a dozen roosters along with another small box of whatever sort of extra produce they have at the time or a plate of cookies or something as a gift for taking away the noisy roosters. Works for me! Chicken soup cures crowing, too.

Actually, instead of selling those Plymouth Rock roosters, pluck the nicest of the neck and hackle feathers and wire them up to tiny clips and sell them as hair additions. You'll be able to get $10 per pair of feathers with clips on them. The roosters will grow more feathers, too. You may make more money growing feathers than eggs.
my wife is from the Philippines & many many people have fighting roosters there. no chance of sleeping in with all that crowing :/

piglett

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Around here people give roos away. They are usually used for a one-time stud service and then become soup.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't done half bad with my roos. In the last few months I sold 1 blue Ameracauna for $15 sold a Gold comet/dorking for $10 and traded an Ameracauna roo for a EE pullet! Not great... but not shabby.