Rooster value

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
I haven't done half bad with my roos. In the last few months I sold 1 blue Ameracauna for $15 sold a Gold comet/dorking for $10 and traded an Ameracauna roo for a EE pullet! Not great... but not shabby.
well that will buy another bag of feed for your flock

better than making stew out of them i would say. although i do like stew :thumbsup

piglett

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Folks here are near desperate for breeding age roosters right now. There was a guy who bought a shipment, and was bringing them in on a big flat bed truck from out of state. Something went wrong, and about 500 roos got out of the truck on the interstate :lol: I have had a LOT of people asking for grown roos at the flea market lately, even some of the other sellers are wanting 6 month old+ roosters. Too bad I only have one right now, and he's not going anywhere :p Maybe someone will buy a bunch more and bring them in here soon. Roos are selling like crazy here right now though. The Hispanics around here buy a lot of them.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Folks here are near desperate for breeding age roosters right now. There was a guy who bought a shipment, and was bringing them in on a big flat bed truck from out of state. Something went wrong, and about 500 roos got out of the truck on the interstate :lol: I have had a LOT of people asking for grown roos at the flea market lately, even some of the other sellers are wanting 6 month old+ roosters. Too bad I only have one right now, and he's not going anywhere :p Maybe someone will buy a bunch more and bring them in here soon. Roos are selling like crazy here right now though. The Hispanics around here buy a lot of them.
well once mine grow out some i plan on 2 roosters for my buff orpington pen & 2 more in my english orpington pen.
any others i end up with will either get sold or end up in "camp"
why do i want to feed a big bunch of roos all winter??
i'll pass on that.

piglett

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah...that's why I only have one ;) There are a few in my freezer now :D

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yeah...that's why I only have one ;) There are a few in my freezer now :D
i want 2 roos in each pen so they can tag team anything that dares try to do harm to my hens.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ya'll are lucky.In my area you can't give a rooster away.Everytime I hatch chicks in my incubator,I average 65-70% roosters.It's mighty depressing!If any die before maturity,it's always a pullet.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Andy J said:
Ya'll are lucky.In my area you can't give a rooster away.Everytime I hatch chicks in my incubator,I average 65-70% roosters.It's mighty depressing!If any die before maturity,it's always a pullet.
i have a big pot & plenty of vegtables so extra unsold roos are no real problem :ep

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Andy, I feel for ya.... last year I had a broody hatch 5 chicks... 4 were roos! I will say though, the 1 hen is the prettiest mixed hen I have! My son is building me a plucker.... soon as it' s done... most of the boys I have left (including the new hatches from this year) are goin' campin'!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A couple years ago you could get a rooster for 1.00 at a sale. Right now they are bringing 8.00 to 10.00 for a full size roo. It is crazy.

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
A couple years ago you could get a rooster for 1.00 at a sale. Right now they are bringing 8.00 to 10.00 for a full size roo. It is crazy.
lots of people getting into chickens i guess.

piglett