Sad Day

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I figure if nature in the form of predators of various types take one of my flock, then it is more my fault than the nature being nature. It is up to me to protect the hens with a predator proof coop and watch them when I let them out. Lately it has been so hot that instead of free ranging, they lay up under the porch like dogs. LOL :lol:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chickens do better with cold than heat, so long as they have a wind break & water barrier. Mine free range all day and love their shelters for shade! My plum tree is a favorite place, shade AND probably a bevy of bugs under there.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a friend whose chickens adored the grape arbor- shade, bugs, and dropped fruit as well

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The only problem with an LGD that I should warn you about... they BARK... a LOT. That's part of their MO; they are warning predators that they are here, awake, and on duty. If you have neighbors that might object, you need to talk to them or there will be anger and discontent in the neighborhood.

This doesn't have to be an absolute. They can be trained to only bark on an actual threat. My dogs are very quiet...never bark in the day time and only at real threats at night. If they are barking, I know there truly is something out there but they only bark for as long as it's necessary for the threat to move along. There is never incessant barking...I'd never allow that.

A person gets out of these dogs what they put into them, so training is required and it's best if getting them as pups so you can train them up in the way you want them to go. It takes work but it's well worth it.

Latest posts