SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After spending time on this forum and reading what others manage to accomplish, I feel like a total slacker! :lol:

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:( I feel like a super slacker. The only thing SS related I manage to accomplish is yelling at my veggies to grow. You are really out there get'n it done! :bow

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
D of C - I am just foolish enough to figure 'why not?' and just try it, whatever 'it' may be :lol:

Today was SO MUCH cooler! Dug up the potatoes in my garden. Got 95% reds, 5% whites. Guess I know what kind I'll be getting when DS and I go potato picking tomorrow! I got about 1/3 of an oval laundry basket, off of 16 plants. Will try to post a picture later.

Pulled up one peanut, and realized they aren't quite ready yet. Hung that to dry and picked the squash and pumpkin that was hanging on the fence. Pulled the onions that had died off. Wondering if I should've left them in to overwinter? They were very small. Hmmmm

Went and picked up the well pump from the place I dropped it off at two weeks ago. I had called on Tuesday and told them I wanted it tested and ready by today. Well, when I walked in the door, I saw the thing sitting in the exact same spot I had dropped it off in. Never even touched it :somad For. Two. Weeks. Lady gave me a sob story about how the guy was kinda sick this week. OK, that explains this week. What about LAST week? Why is it still in the same spot I left it in 2 weeks ago?! :rant So, we are no closer to having a working well at the new house than we were on Labor Day. Told DH I am seriously considering opening it up, slathering vasoline on every seal, and giving it a try that way. Don't know any trustworthy repair place down here, or up home, for that matter. May have to call my Dad for a recommendation :/ Prefer to mess up a $2,800 piece of equipment by greasing the seals myself! I really don't want another lecture on my total incompetence and foolish endeavors.

By the way, I quit smoking. Two days and counting. :barnie My longest quitting streak to date is 4 days. I think the dog and my son are both ready for me to move out and live with the heifer until the crabbiness subsides! Can't wait until my chimney of a husband comes home tomorrow - that will be the true test! :he

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:

By the way, I quit smoking. Two days and counting. :barnie My longest quitting streak to date is 4 days. I think the dog and my son are both ready for me to move out and live with the heifer until the crabbiness subsides! Can't wait until my chimney of a husband comes home tomorrow - that will be the true test! :he
This is huge, and congratulations! :thumbsup

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Good luck on quitting smoking. Lots of rich fats helps the food cravings :) So if you go on a chocolate binge, get really GOOD chocolate or make a rich ganache. If you fill up on junk food, you'll regret it LOL.

S

sunsaver

moolie said:
SSDreamin said:

This is huge, and congratulations! :thumbsup
After 3 days, the nicotine will be out of your system, and the physical cravings should be gone. You should have only pschological cravings after day 3. It's just the mental habit that you need to break. Try replacing it with chewing gum. Juicy Fruit did the trick for me. I quit smoking exactly ten years ago, one week after the 911 terrorist attacks. Tomorrow is my ten year aniversary of being smoke-free. You can do it. Just relax, pop in a stick of gum, close your eyes and take a deep breath, and tell yourself, "this to shall pass." Most cravings last less than 30 seconds. They get shorter but more frequent, the longer you go with out nicotine, so have plenty of gum on hand. Cold turkey is the only way to quit for good.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everybody!

I can use quitting smoking as a valid excuse to eat chocolate? Awesome! :lol:

I am chewing gum, until my jaws ache!

I know it sounds like an excuse, but since they changed the paper on the cigarettes, I started smoking more and actually craving a cigarette. I'd hurry up and eat, just to be able to light up. Not cool.

The psychological cravings are kicking my backside!! Absent-minded behaviors are so tough to stop!
DH just called to say he's on his way so, in three hours, I'll get my big test. DH smokes in front of me ("You just need stronger willpower") and USUALLY isn't very supportive. Hoping for better this time and, I only have to deal with it for one day per week if he still does it.

Ten years?! That's fantastic! I agree that cold turkey is the way. I've tried almost everything else, and failed. I have a better attitude this time (although the dog and my son may say different) and have been taking some supplements to try and keep things in balance while I work through it.

Also trying to stay busy! DS and I dug 100 lbs of white potatoes today!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I have only smoked a pack since quitting 5 years ago. :gig

That was working at comcast. My new job doesnt stress me so much.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Abi - I know one cigarette and I'll be right back at it, so no packs of smokes for me! My willpower stinks!

My DH has been WONDERFUL! I have not seen him light up once since he's been home.

Went to the local race track last night and ran into a good friend, who smokes quite a bit. Was amazed at how it DIDN'T affect me, at all :idunno

Still struggling with the HABIT of smoking - it catches me off guard and annoys me. Also still short tempered! DH has joined the chorus to force me out to the barn until my mood improves :rolleyes:

Picked our pear tree and apple tree clean today - want to make some apple butter, but couldn't get my crockpot revived, so will now need to shop for a new one. Plan to visit Vinnie's and GW this week for other stuff: Let's hope they have something I can use.