SSDreamin Blessings and curses

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My 1 1/2 year old German Shepard pesters 5 month old Ice Cream while she tries to eat.
3767_011.jpg

The dog nips at Ice Creams ear to get her to play
3767_013.jpg

Ice Cream tolerated it, for about two seconds! :lol:

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Snapshot, I see lots of coddling in Ice Creams future and, I wish I'd paid a lot closer attention as a teen too!

This weekend, I canned up the remainder of my tomatoes. I was terribly disappointed in the ratio of raw tomatoes in, compared to finished product! Seemed worse than years past. Roughly 40 pounds of tomatoes resulted in 5 pints of ketchup and 6 pints of spaghetti sauce. I've made more off my garden leftovers in the past???

Waiting for the heat of the day to pass, so DS and I can go gather pears at the neighbors. Had plans to dry what apples we got off our tree too, but it appears raccoons have enjoyed the fruits of our labor these past two nights. Only got enough to make sweet & sour cabbage with last night. Found out I'm not a fan of sweet & sour cabbage :D

Things must be coming together the way I hoped: DH came home Saturday night and said "This place smells like a farm!" :ya

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got what pears were left off neighbor's tree. Noticed lots of grapes going to waste on the vines beside the tree. May need to pester them about those :D

Finishing up tomato work today with a batch of tomato paste. Never done it before, so we'll see how it goes. I've already fudged part of the recipe, which is never a good sign for me!

For some reason, my sugar pumpkin vine has begun to die off. Cuke and cantalope already died off from our colder night temps, but thought the pumpkin was hardier :/

Called on the results of the bench test on the well pump I dropped off last Tuesday. They haven't gotten to it yet! :somad Told them I needed it by this Friday, so lets hope that lights a fire under their buns. Should've told them they'll have to deal with DH if they don't get moving. Of course, that threat only works for people who have seen/met DH before. He is one scary looking tattooed man :lol:

Need to start getting all my trees and plantings dug up and moved to the new house. I wasn't sure I wanted to over-winter them there, especially if it takes us a while to get moved in, but I like the idea of heeling things in here then having to come back in Spring to get everything and move it even less. I think, if I give it a couple more weeks, they'll all be headed for dormancy anyway, so they won't need much coddling when transplanted. Problem with the trees is, I need to get up there and find somebody to work the area they'll be going in. The property at that house is very weird: the front yard was tended, so it's lush and green. The back chunk is nothing but moss and tuft's of prairie grass here and there. I'm no agricultural savant, but it seems almost burnt out/over worked. Need to get somebody in to turn it, put in some rye, then turn that and dump the compost to it, but have no time now. Upsetting, because part of that was to be Ice Cream's pasture.

Half the problem seems to be the distance between this house and that one. The majority of the work is on me, and a seven hour round trip, on top of keeping up with things here, leaves almost no time to accomplish things. I suppose I shouldn't complain. I picked the house, and knew what I was in for.

Saw a seven year old Belgien(sp?) gelding on CL this past week. He was a rescue, from an Amish farm (which strikes me as very odd), harness broke and able to do anything we'd need of him, for $200. I wanted him so bad, but DH pointed out that any feed Ice Cream saves us that horse would make up for, and then some! Bummer. I love those big horses. It does seem a little foolish, to buy a cow that has a lower food cost, to turn around and get a horse that eats twice as much as a standard horse. Oh well. I can dream.

Also saw a five month old jersey steer on CL. Trouble is, you have to call for price. Don't like that. Post the price!

Have revamped our home schooling program, again. Realized I was overloading DS, in an attempt to 'provide a diverse study plan'. I guess 15 different subjects per week WAS a bit much for a sixth grader! :D Read some good advice over on BWH: Said to focus on the three or four important subjects (for us, that is spelling, math, writing and language arts) every day, and leave the rest up to him. It also suggested unit studies, which I think would work well for DS. Yesterday he asked if we could count learning how to pick pears as school :lol:

DH 'surprised' me this past weekend by taking the money I've been setting aside and buying DS a crossbow, so he could hunt this year. They spent a big part of Sunday practicing. I took a break from canning to watch for a minute (and yes, to smoke a cig), and DS asked if I wanted to try it. They were trying to get the scope zeroed in, and it was shooting low & right. I made adjustments for that, and got one right on the edge of the bullseye :cool: This was my first time ever firing a crossbow, and both my guys were kind of hacked at my results! This led to several more hours of shooting, to show Mom/wife up. Boys.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't allow your dog to 'even nip' at an ear. any sign of mouthing on that little cow should be corrected immediately.

I know, most say it will never happen, but in a second a nip goes to full prey hunt. It actually happens all the time. Teach your dog NOT TO TOUCH livestock.....honestly you will have a better dog for it and livestock that doesn't feel threatened.

just a little info to maybe help ya

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Really?! Yikes! Will keep on him about it then! Figured he was showing her who's boss at this house, but don't want my dog tearing in to my baby!

Thanks Farmerchick!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chances are your dog would never go hypo on the livestock, but you just never, ever want to give him the opportunity.

even my little Papillion pup tried to run my goats. I corrected that little dog big time and I stopped all critter harrassment....he barely chases the barn cats anymore. with a little lap dog he was in mortal danger cause one of my Boer goats is out to get him big time. and it would kill Bolt if it could that is for sure lol

stand near, guard, be attentive etc are great traits. when they start to 'play' with livestock then it can go further and further very quickly.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made cheese last night! So, it was only mozzarella, and ricotta from the whey, but I did it and it all looks like it's supposed to! Ended up with one pound of mozzarella and about 1/3 cup of ricotta from a store bought gallon of milk, plus plenty of whey for the chickens and plants. I guess that's not too bad for the $2.50 sale price, and it was good practice. DS was unhappy though. He drinks two gallons of milk a week and thought Mom was being extra nice by buying three gallons this week! :D

Something has been munching on my pumpkin plant and killed it. Only got one sugar pumpkin off the vine. The other one (huge vine only produced two pumpkins) is still out there - I am hoping it will still ripen??? :hu

Have to finish up the tomato paste today. Don't think it's supposed to take three days, but it is for me. Eighteen hours in my crockpot resulted in very hot tomato soup, so I transferred it to a pot. While it cooked down, I made cheese. Four hours of cooking on the stove did not eliminate enough 'juice' and I was tired, so I let it cool and stuck it in the frig. Will try again today. I hope it makes a lot, because I'm not liking the time frame for the process! :/

Have been working on keeping Rocky, my dog, away from Ice Cream, per Farmerchick's instructions. So far, so good. He has begun to realize that, if he pesters the heifer, he gets chained up while outside. Being chained up is his least favorite thing, so he has kept his distance and lets her eat in peace.

Latest posts