SSDreamin Blessings and curses

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Ew that stinks! I think I'd run screaming into the south if we had that much more snow!
Aw silly camera!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I don't remember moving to the Yukon territory, but it appears we have! Even Alaska had a milder winter than we did! :confused:
The vet called me back. He thinks we should up Ice Creams grain ration, just keep an eye (and plug our nose) on the poo and he's pretty sure she has ringworm :( I'll try to get a hold of DH before he heads home, so he can stop by and pick up some athlete's foot spray for her. The vet said we really don't need that - the coming warmer weather and sunshine will take care of it; but it has to be driving her crazy with the itching!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, Ice Cream went downhill and we had to call the vet out last night :( She has pneumonia. Stupid, never ending winter!! He injected her with antibiotics and B12, and we have to inject her for the next 5 days with antibiotics AND give her a B12 booster tomorrow :he Then, we need to :fl that it works. Flank will have to go onto a bottle and we'll need to strip her out twice a day and dispose of the milk. :barnie
The good news is, she actually ate a bit of hay this morning - the first in 2 days!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OMG - when it rains it pours...or should I say when it snows?

Does that mean you'll have to raise Flank on the bottle - or can he go back on mom when she's better and off meds?

Hope she gets better soon!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Poor Ice Cream. Hope she's OK. :hugs

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She's doing MUCH better today! :celebrate

FEM - Flank is flat out refusing the bottle. He'll sniff it, lick the bottle itself, but will not suck. So no concerns about switching him back and forth, I guess.

All night last night right on through til this morning, Flank and Ice Cream cried - loudly. Our only option for a calf pen is across the barn from where Ice Cream is - and you'd have thought it was a whole county away! Plus, since he was refusing the bottle, we put in a call to the vet, and he said last night was the most important one. So we put Flank back in today after we milked her out. It is becoming obvious that 2 of her 4 quarters are drying up :\ Probably due to illness. Ugh. On a bright note, she gave 3/4 of a gallon from her 2 good quarters. 1 1/2 gallons a day between 2 milkings, would be enough for us. I am just getting flustered by all the set backs and sickness.

We dug a path to the meatie house and moved all of them in today - and by we I mean DH :D They were way too big to keep them in the isolation pen. Every time I opened the door to feed them, they all fell out at me and scattered across the floor! Then, I had to herd them back in, try the door, push the fattest ones in a little farther, quickly shut the door before they pushed back against it. Yeah, it was time!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad she's better and glad Flank is gonna get back to milk via mom! Congrats on the meaties moved!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad she's on the mend. Hopefully, this will be the last of it, and it will all be smooth sailing from now on.

Latest posts