SSDreamin Blessings and curses

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So sorry, I hope they will be alright. :hugs Too bad the dogs had to be put down because the owner didn't keep track of them. Let us know how your pigs are doing.

Happy to be Me

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is an awful thing all the way around! :hugs How are things today? Poor little pigs!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the :hugs everybody!

Sorry it has taken this long to update - yesterday/last night were crazy busy.

so lucky: These dogs/their owner had just moved here from WA last week (they were his daughters), according to the man who came and got them. He said they were in their run, and he let them out, to move them to the barn while he went hunting. He started loading up his motorhome, forgot about them, and we had to deal with the results. :/

Update: The vet told DH there wasn't much hope for pig girl - one of the dogs had grabbed her throat and depending on the internal damage, she may not be able to eat or drink. DH brought her home, made her a warm place to rest in the garage, gave her some kind of *mycin (thanks for that Pinky ;) ) and refused to put her down. He always lectures me on getting attached, but it was very obvious that DH didn't want to put his pig girl down. Basically, he decided we should 'wait and see', then left for deer camp with DS#2 and FIL :rolleyes: I have been checking on her every 2-3 hours. She'd get up onto her front legs and drink for DH. For me, not so much :( She's still drinking, her breathing isn't as labored this morning and, when I went out a bit ago to check on her, she'd pushed open the cage door (she's in the big dog carrier) and was resting her feet on the doorway, with her head OUT of the thing! I have no idea how I'm going to get 90 pounds of pig back in and the door shut, so I'm letting her stay like that if she wants. If she gets more mobile, I'll figure something else out then. Other pig girl is afraid to leave the 'safety' of the hutch. She came right out as soon as I went in the pasture - started rooting around/drinking/eating. When I left to go feed the cows, she ran back in the hutch :/ So, no physical problems with her, at least. I feel like I am being selfish though. I think it would be kinder to pig girl to 'put her out of her misery', but I can't bring myself to do it. I am also upset that DH left it all to me. I spent most of last night petting pig girl, apologizing for being gutless and unable to do right by her and crying :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhh, this breaks my heart. But, never underestimate the healing power of Mother Nature and some kind of "mycin"! :)

I had a goat who was attacked by a bobcat and had major throat trauma. Her throat was ripped open, but the esophagus and windpipe were intact. She didn't want to eat grain (don't blame her - it's rough) but she drank water. I made really soupy oatmeal for her and fed her out of a 60cc syringe for a couple days just to keep some nutrition in her. It took awhile, and she lost some weight - but she recovered fully. Well, except for her voice, it's raspy now - but who cares??? She's alive and healthy.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Ahhh, this breaks my heart. But, never underestimate the healing power of Mother Nature and some kind of "mycin"! :)

I had a goat who was attacked by a bobcat and had major throat trauma. Her throat was ripped open, but the esophagus and windpipe were intact. She didn't want to eat grain (don't blame her - it's rough) but she drank water. I made really soupy oatmeal for her and fed her out of a 60cc syringe for a couple days just to keep some nutrition in her. It took awhile, and she lost some weight - but she recovered fully. Well, except for her voice, it's raspy now - but who cares??? She's alive and healthy.
Thanks for this FEM! Wonder if I should try her on something like that? We know her windpipe is OK, and DH said her esophagus 'felt' OK when he inserted the *mycin. Hmmmm... Maybe it would help boost her strength. She won't touch grain either - I've been thinking I should get some yogurt for her - it's her favorite, but soupy oatmeal is something I can make with stuff I have on hand. Will let you know how it works out :)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Never underestimate the power an animal has to heal. I had a duck that was RUN OVER. Leg was busted up in several places, the foot had the impression of the road (you could see where the pressure had dug the stones into her foot) and really, I was going to put her down. I didn't do it that night. I couldn't bring myself to do it. The next day, she was hopping around on one foot, with the other dangling. I ended up letting her ride out, and now? I can not figure out which hen was run over. I have five, and you'd think with that bad of damage, that she'd still have a limp, especially without any intervention, but nope, no matter how hard I try, I cannot figure out which hen it was.

ETA: I know, you probably just want to strangle the guy right now, but maybe a "thank you" card or condolensces or something would be nice. He probably feels pretty damn sick about the whole situation. Not only about your piggers, but being responsible for them AND his daughters' dogs.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
sorry to hear. :hugs and i hope she gets better for you, sometimes a little time does wonders! we have had our share of "you better put it down"s. and have had sucsess with mother nature and a little tlc.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i would try soupy oatmeal, warm but not hot, add some yogut and peanut butter (melt the peanut butter first)
the peanut butter will add lots of good healthy fat while the oatmals carbs (which are comfort foods for a reason lol) and the yogurt especially if she like yogurt will help and those good probitics nevr do any harm.

id offer her and little piggy lots of thier favorites over the next few days to get them through the shock...
the fact that big pig is moving around is a positive sign, id be much more worried if she was uninterested in trying to get out.

depending on her injuries and how little pig is energy level wise, piggy visitation might also help, pigs are incredibly smart and social cratures, a little visitation with her buddy might o BOtH girls a world of good, just be sure its supervised and ONLY ifyou feel secure forcefully seperating them if things get rough. (i like electric flyswatters for that kind of stuff lol)

HUGE hugs to you, big pig certaintly sounds like a fighter, as long as those injuries ont get infected you could see a serious improvment quite quickly.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Two dogs - a pit mix and what looks like a chow mix- attacked my pig girls this morning!! Ice Cream started bellowing like crazy, so DH went out to check. The pigs were screaming! The dogs had broke down the triple wire electric fence! He ran out there and put both dogs down (they were both still inside the pig pasture, still attacking). Our biggest pig was pretty tore up :hit - DH took her to the vet. The smaller one is scratched up a bit, and won't stop shaking from fear!! Both dogs had tags - we called animal control, they contacted the owner (who lives a quarter mile from here). The guy came right over, and took his dogs. Animal control said the owner will be liable for all costs associated with the pig/fence repair. We decided to have her checked, to see if we can save her, but I'm not holding out much hope - she had chunks missing :( DH is really upset - the pig girls follow him around like puppies. Now, if we lose the big girl, the guy agreed to pay for a replacement pig. Those girls were so attached to each other, I don't know how the smaller one will do, or if she'll fight with a new pig, or what - but I'm also worried about if she'd survive the winter alone. Right now, she's sitting (actually sitting - which would be cute if it wasn't so sad) at the gate, waiting for her sister pig to come back :hit
Let's be clear about this. Those dogs weren't "put down" they were terminated with predjudice for attempting to kill your animals. DH was well within his rights to do so and for that matter, the owner/caretaker SHOULD accept all responsibility for the injury and loss both to livestock and property. It won't make him happy but he will have learned a very difficult lesson on the subject of caring for someone else's animals i.e. his daughter's dogs.

The Pit/mix is another reason to have terminated them. They appear to kill for sport and once they start killing they will attack nearly anything they think they can intimidate.

I had two dogs come on my farm at night andI could see (and hear) that they were killing a cat. I shot both of them from the house in the dark. That was a trick in itself. I am better with a rifle than a pistol.

I felt only a minimal amount of remorse for having to shoot them, but they had come on my farm, killed my cat and would have done it again as soon as the got to any other of my cats or animals. Animal control is the responsibility of the owner and in this case your pig may need to be put down but I would recommend letting the butcher do it so at least you get something back for its life considering that is their ultimate purpose in most cases unless you intend to breed them. The dog owner should buy you a new pig and the feed to bring it to the weight of the current pig. He should accept the cost of the fence repair and any vet bill as well.

I am very sorry for your loss and know how that feels. I have had at least 3 sets of hens decimated by varmints in the middle of the night and have never been able to catch a one of them.
It is very un-nerving for a long time.

ETA: I did a little catching up here and I have to say that is a beautiful kitchen but where I come from that is clearly a "ONE-butt" kitchen. No room for helpers...LOL
The other thing is to let you know that there are more of us in "THAT" club than you may imagine. My ONLY son would have been 32 last month. His twin sister survived but is blind, handicapped and will never have an independent life. We extend to you, the warmth of the knowing that we will see them again, but just not here.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//