Stock up alert!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Hm. I wouldn't have thought to ask for seconds. I will have to scout around. Our tomatoes this year were a complete bust- they don't like where SO decided to move them to and the plants just never developed well.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Local tomatoes are just starting to ripen, and are therefore expensive. Of my 5 tomato plants I have been harvesting a few cherry tomatoes, but the others are still green, though loaded with fruit. They will ripen while we are on vacation, and my brother and the neighbours will get to enjoy the bounty .... *sigh*

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Kala said:
About how much are you all paying for tomatoes in your area?

I know it will vary alot but we went to the farmers market today and I was really wanting to stock up on some tomatoes to do some canning with (ours didn't do so hot this year) and they seemed a little more $$ this year than I remember. It was about $3.50 for a little container of big ones, so you only got maybe 4 or so. So it would really cost a fortune to stock up enough to can with.
In the boxes like you are describing, which are the prime tomatoes we are paying about the same thing. I don't buy the prime tomatoes however. I buy the "seconds" which are the ugly, bruised or too ripe ones! The farmers do not have those on display - you have to ask them.

I have bought to date 5 big boxes full of those "second" tomatoes with each box weighing right at 30 pounds each. (I weighed them) I paid $20 for one box, $10 each for three others (and that farmer threw in a free box of squishy tomatoes, too far gone for people to eat, for me to give my chickens :cool: ) and I bought another box of the seconds today for $8.00!! By my count I have spent a total of $58.00 and purchased right at 150 POUNDS of tomatoes. :celebrate

There IS some waste with the seconds. Sometimes a tomato is split and smells rotten and sometimes you find a squished moldy tomato at the bottom of the box - good for only chicken feed. The best way I have found so far to deal with them is to take them home and pop the whole batch into the freezer until they are frozen hard. Then I drop them in to a kettle of warm (hot is not necessary) water and the skins just slip right off. As a second benefit it is very easy to trim away the core and any bad parts when a tomato is frozen. When they are skinned and trimmed I let them thaw back out and use, or can, or make sauce like normal.

That is how I stock up!! ;)
That's a great idea!! Thanks bunches FF!!

On another note I got a dozen ears of corn for $2.00 today! So we bought 4 1/2 dozen :) Most other places are selling for $5.00 a dozen.

I see lots of blanching and vacum sealing in my future....

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well my first attempt at finding some seconds or "jam peaches" at a small stand didn't pan out. I will try at the big farmer's market this Saturday

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My boss has organic, unsprayed ugly peaches every year that are the sweetest things I ever tasted. I get almost the whole tree full for jam if I want them. I don't think I have time this year. I haven't even gotten blueberry jam done, and they're almost over.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The thing with seconds is that you just have to keep politely asking. Also I make it a rule NOT to "talk down" a farmer on seconds. Either they shoot me a great price or I walk and let them throw away their damaged produce. Once you make yourself known to them they will often flag you down to buy their seconds.

Another thing to realize about seconds is that they are usually what the farmer keeps to feed his own family. I always did that as well when I sold eggs. The best are sold and any small, or discolored or weird ones were ours. This means that you need to hold off a bit before seconds will be a bargain. Give the farmer a chance to do some canning too! After that the prices will start to come down. You might even talk to a farmer in advance and offer to bring your own boxes. The farmers here have to pay $5 each for those produce boxes.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
valmom said:
My boss has organic, unsprayed ugly peaches every year that are the sweetest things I ever tasted. I get almost the whole tree full for jam if I want them. I don't think I have time this year. I haven't even gotten blueberry jam done, and they're almost over.
Just freeze the fruit until you do have time.

I make a bunch of jams and jellies every winter when I have time on my hands. ;)

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DH and kids gleaned 195# of tomatoes this morning for 18 cents per pound. We are going to can them into the 100 jars I got last week for $20. And I will enjoy all that cheap eating this winter!

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
DH and kids gleaned 195# of tomatoes this morning for 18 cents per pound. We are going to can them into the 100 jars I got last week for $20. And I will enjoy all that cheap eating this winter!
Wow - how did you manage that?!!!!! That's awesome.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
Living the Simple Life said:
Wow - how did you manage that?!!!!! That's awesome.
Wow! I second Bimpnottin, how the heck did u do that?