Stock up alert!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did you say 195 POUNDS??? and only .18 cents per lb????? :th For that price, I'm almost tempted to make a loooong road trip :lol:

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
One of the local produce farms open their fields for gleaners as the season winds down. We actually lucked out. When we called last week, they said they would open the fields in 10 days. We happened to be driving by on Saturday and stopped to double-check and they had opened that morning - yikes. We had a trunkful of canning jars so we couldn't pick right them so we headed home to unload. A huge storm blew in so we weren't able to pick on Sat. We planned to go yesterday and another storm....so DH and kids went this morning. Only a couple of other people picking (and complaining - like what do you want when gleaning, sheesh). Hubby just started lifting the plants and lots of nice tomatoes underneath. Usually this farm lets people glean all their produce (potatoes, squash, etc.) but they are only gleaning tomatoes this year.

Another boon, I just spotted four pear trees loaded with pears on some property that our church just bought. DH asked pastor and he said help yourself if you can get to them (really overgrown area).

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I figure this really only applies to the GF folks and the ones who have Big Lots for that matter. But ours gets Bob's Red Mill stuff. I found several kinds of GF mixes. The 1 lb packages range from 2.50 to 4 bucks. Much less than my regular store. They also had the regular soup and bean mixes for 3 bucks. I don't usually use the mixes but I thought having a couple on hand would be nice.

Oh, so the reason I went was because they had tom paste at 25 cents last time I was there. Of course it was all gone. But I found some #10 cans of green beans for 2.50 each. I actually don't really like canned veggies but for that price I grabbed them. :hide

g

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
whooot!

here is a minor stock up victory... Kroger around here has canning lids on sale - i got a handful of boxes of the standard lids for $1.37...which is pretty good. not great but pretty good.

:)

unfortunately.. gas is now $3.75 so i figure it cost me about $97 to drive the big truck down to get them. grrrrr.....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I got cases of the 1/2 pints there after the holidays last year for 2 bucks. I need to run over and see in mine has canning lids.

Thanks!!!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For folks who a Meijer store in the area-they have 5lb bags of white potatoes on their 10 for $10-11th free sale again.. Just picked up 35lbs(along with other goodies) to dehydrate into hash browns and slices for winter chowing.
They also have a few other good fresh items on there like white and brown(baby bella) mushrooms and red/yellow bell peppers (my area has a good local stand with .40 each bell peppers so I buy them there)
If you can have the boxed processed stuff there are tons of those on the 10 for 10s. Like Betty crocker potatoes/ mac and cheese/hunts HFCS free ketchup.. that kind of thing... We will be going back Friday and Saturday to pick up more potatoes or if they run out like last time I will pick up a rain check and I will make hubby go thru another line and get another rain-check. they are usually good for a month and for 12 of an item(of course one will be free) and we can buy the first bunch one week and use the next RC the week after. This works out to .20 lb for potatoes.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I figure this really only applies to the GF folks and the ones who have Big Lots for that matter. But ours gets Bob's Red Mill stuff. I found several kinds of GF mixes. The 1 lb packages range from 2.50 to 4 bucks. Much less than my regular store. They also had the regular soup and bean mixes for 3 bucks. I don't usually use the mixes but I thought having a couple on hand would be nice.
I took advantage of this yesterday. I came home with well over $200.00 worth of GF mixes (by regular price) for only $110.00! :weee

I got GF Cornbread mix, GF Brownie mix, GF Pizza Crust mix and GF Rolled Oats. :thumbsup

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
VeggiePak had trouble with my link to the pigeon pea recipe so I'm pasting it below...

"Mbaazi wa Nazi (Pigeon Peas in Coconut Milk)

Mbaazi wa Nazi (Pigeon Peas with Coconut) are the Swahili way to prepare this popular tropical pulse. The pigeon pea (Cajanus indicus or Cajanus cajan, also called congo pea, congo bean, gunga pea, or gungo pea) is evidently native to Africa or Asia. In Egypt, the cultivation of pigeon peas began before 2000 B.C. Today pigeon peas are widely cultivated in all tropical and semi-tropical regions the world over, and are especially popular in India and the Caribbean.
zanzibar bazaar

What you need

one pound pigeon peas (dried); or substitute black-eyed peas, yellow-eyed peas or cowpeas -- cleaned, soaked, and rinsed
one or two cups each of "thick" and "thin" coconut milk (see the note about coconut milk on the Wali wa Nazi recipe page)
oil
one or two onions, chopped
one hot green chile pepper, cleaned and chopped
one teaspoon curry powder -- or turmeric
salt, to taste

What you do

In a large pot, combine pigeon peas and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the peas begin to become tender and most of the water is absorbed.
Stir in the thin coconut milk, Continue to simmer over low heat. Add more water as necessary to prevent the peas from becoming dry. While peas are simmering: Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Add the curry powder to the oil and stir for a minute. Fry the onion and chile pepper until they are tender.
Combine the peas and onion-chile mixture (add either one to the other). Continue to simmer until peas are tender enough to eat. Add the thick coconut milk and simmer on the lowest possible heat for five to ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve "Swahili style" with Chapati
or Rice, or "up-country style" with Ugali. "