Stock up alert!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
BriteChicken said:
Oh Man I hope that my Big Lots still has the GF Bobs on Sale I will buy the store out of GF cornbread mix and oats! I love oatmeal but it's so Dang expensive certified GF! :)
At my store they get it all the time. The first time I went it was mainly soup mixes and a couple GF items. The last time the shelf was packed. Just keep looking.
:thumbsup

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
BriteChicken said:
Oh Man I hope that my Big Lots still has the GF Bobs on Sale I will buy the store out of GF cornbread mix and oats! I love oatmeal but it's so Dang expensive certified GF! :)
;) THAT is EXACTLY what I did! :p :cool:

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Elderberries! Free! :weee Roadsides, sunny edges of woods, empty lots, areas of re-growth after logging....they are everywhere!
Love the elderberries...I've sure picked all I could find on the farm and made up lots of jam, jelly and syrup. I've put some in the freezer for wine making later on when I get the time.... Yummmy....:)

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I want elderberries. I have seen none to pick, so far. :(
They aren't as many this year as there was last year but still been plenty enough to make jams and jellies with. We love it.
There wasn't many blackberries at all this year....Good thing I canned plenty and still have enough from last year.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's just the opposite out here. Blackberries are more invasive than mint. They grow EVERYWHERE & ANYWHERE!!! They are just starting to ripen up. This year I want to make some jam and have plenty for eating & freezing too for some pies, etc. I just have to find the time to pick em.

As for elderberries.....I don't know if they even grow here. They probably do, I just don't know nor have heard much about them. :hu

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Stock up on regular-mouth canning jars at Ace Hardware - 2 cases for $11. Check acehardware.com to check if your local store has the sale. I bought 10 cases.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
freemotion said:
Elderberries! Free! :weee Roadsides, sunny edges of woods, empty lots, areas of re-growth after logging....they are everywhere!
Love the elderberries...I've sure picked all I could find on the farm and made up lots of jam, jelly and syrup. I've put some in the freezer for wine making later on when I get the time.... Yummmy....:)
Wish I could try the elderberries that every one is talking about. All we have around here are the Red Elderberries. Which I have heard are toxic.

Here the blackberries are half way done.. Some are starting to die back because it has been so hot. And the berries are smaller this year and they are more buggy. For the first year I soak them in salt water before using them.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Living the Simple Life said:
DH and kids gleaned 195# of tomatoes this morning for 18 cents per pound. We are going to can them into the 100 jars I got last week for $20. And I will enjoy all that cheap eating this winter!
By any chance, did they get them at Adams Farm in Liberty? I have GOT to get down there and get some before they're all gone! My tomatoes aren't producing as well as hoped and that is too good a price to pass up! :D
Yes. We also just got a postcard that on September 17 they are going to do their potato dig. 15 cents per pound, they dig and you pick 'em up.