Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've always preferred the KJV myself, but I find the NKJV to be so close that it doesn't give me much pause. I'd been raised in churches that preached that anything BUT the KJV was changing the Scriptures "one jot or tittle" and that they were to be avoided. I don't know what my feelings about that are now but I do find my NKJV to be more readable and I didn't find any of the poetry or rhythm of the language/wording had been lost. Most importantly, I've not found any of the meaning lost in translation.

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
At the end of the day isn't it the message more so than the exact words that are of the most importance?

It's like one saying Thou shalt not kill and the next saying Thou must not kill. Different words but no doubt the same message.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
kstaven said:
At the end of the day isn't it the message more so than the exact words that are of the most importance?

It's like one saying Thou shalt not kill and the next saying Thou must not kill. Different words but no doubt the same message.
That's how I personally feel about it. I have the NKJV and like it because it is more readable than the old language, but I still look up the Hebrew and Greek translations all the time anyway no matter what version I am reading from. :hu

And yeah, I'm somewhat attached to my bible as well. It has all the proper marks, and old church bulletins as place markers, and a few dog eared pages, and my old dog chewed it too. The cover is wearing out, the page edges are worn, the corner is almost chewed off and the binding is starting to break down. The glossy finish of the hardcover is peeling off everywhere....and I wouldn't have any other!! It smells like church. :love

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I've always preferred the KJV myself, but I find the NKJV to be so close that it doesn't give me much pause. I'd been raised in churches that preached that anything BUT the KJV was changing the Scriptures "one jot or tittle" and that they were to be avoided. I don't know what my feelings about that are now but I do find my NKJV to be more readable and I didn't find any of the poetry or rhythm of the language/wording had been lost. Most importantly, I've not found any of the meaning lost in translation.
I've heard of churches like that, and I don't agree w/them. After all, the Bible wasn't written in English. And, languages change. The Bible we have now is NOT the same as it was when it was originally translated. If it was, we would NOT be able to read it. Plus, what about those people who don't speak English. That would mean that they couldn't read it. And, in some places, I've heard of translators changing passages to something entirely different because otherwise it doesn't make sense to the people. For instance, you get some tribe deep in the jungle, they're not going to know what a sheep and/or a shepherd is. So, they'll change that to something the people are familiar w/so that they can understand certain passages. Even w/the pictures that are in some Bibles, you need to be careful. I recall hearing that some tribes thought the reason Cain's sacrifice wasn't acceptable is because a pic in the Bible showed the smoke from his as being crooked, and the smoke from Abel's as being straight.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you Beekissed, you have started me on the right track. I am attached to my NKJ it is like an old friend and I am going to try and use the NIV with my NKJ for reference.It helps me to know that there was many scholars involved of different religon so that not just one person/religon could influence my reading of the word after all we are only human and make unintentional mistakes.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sentimental? Yes that about describes it.

Not about just any of my old Bible's though, just one in particular. When I met my hubby at 15 years old I was a new Christian. I had a weird picture filled children's Bible that someone gave me growing up but that was all. Hubby gave me his old worn in leather covered KJV Bible engraved with his name to use and we studied scripture together from that Bible. I only have to see or touch that old Book and it brings a tear to my eye. :love

As for a good regular reading and study Bible, hubby and I both us a large print New American Standard Version most of the time. Like you guys we also have other versions including the NIV and the KJV that we keep around for reference. Hubby who is much more the scholar in so many ways also has a Strong's Concordance that he uses. Sometimes he looks things up in the original language as well.

:thumbsup

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am very thankful for most all modern translations that have been made available. I don't believe in the KJV only teachings for many of the reasons Deb mentioned. And I've heard of churches that almost worship the KJV and teach that those who don't understand it just need to learn to read Old English. :rolleyes: Really?

I've done most of my Bible study with an NIV study Bible that had notes that were so helpful. It does seem that the NIV translators tried to stay very true to the original Greek and Hebrew.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Y'all please pray for me and my family. Sil and bil are staying in my camper and got into an argument and I was woke up around midnight with them screaming at each other. Then a little later bil came over to ask me which one of them had to leave. They decided to split up and both were refusing to leave, apparently since it was my camper they thought I should say who had to leave. I refused to get involved. About 30 min later dh calls from work. Bil had called him to try to make her and the baby be the ones to leave. He was refusing to let them come in out of the rain and cold. Dh was irate at his brother and wanted me to go over there and make sure that he let her in or to bring her and the baby over to my house. Please pray for them. I still also need prayers for dh and I. We are still having problems. Satan has been after us harder than ever and I am praying for the strength to stay strong for everybody every morning and for God to perform a miracle in our lives!

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Rebecca, my prayer's will be said for you and your extended family. God's blessing's to you, and hang in there :hugs

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Y'all please pray for me and my family. Sil and bil are staying in my camper and got into an argument and I was woke up around midnight with them screaming at each other. Then a little later bil came over to ask me which one of them had to leave. They decided to split up and both were refusing to leave, apparently since it was my camper they thought I should say who had to leave. I refused to get involved. About 30 min later dh calls from work. Bil had called him to try to make her and the baby be the ones to leave. He was refusing to let them come in out of the rain and cold. Dh was irate at his brother and wanted me to go over there and make sure that he let her in or to bring her and the baby over to my house. Please pray for them. I still also need prayers for dh and I. We are still having problems. Satan has been after us harder than ever and I am praying for the strength to stay strong for everybody every morning and for God to perform a miracle in our lives!
That sounds like a nightmare!!! Prayers offered up right now, Rebecca! :bow :bow :bow