Sugar free options?

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gonna try that.

Just one addition. I've had friends that have followed my recipeies that require alcohol and low heat that have completely destroyed the meal by using too much heat. Please remember. Ethanol boils at 173F/78C so you don't have to get it really hot.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's true... the recipe actually says NOT to bring it to a boil... SIMMER only!
Edited the original post for clarification.

Good catch, CJ. Thanks!

Reactions: CJ1

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We use concentrated grape juice to make our No Sugar Added Fruit Spreads...about 1/2 the sugar and 1/2 the carbs as regular jam.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nacho, I grew San Marzano paste tomatoes last tear and canned a few jars. It made a lovely sauce, no sugar needed. Start with the San Marzanos!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I fixed some preserves a few years ago, using Splenda, in place of sugar and I got away with it. I don't recall if the Ball Blue Book has recipes requiring no sugar, but whenever I decide to preserve, I fall back on that book, but for me, it is mainly figs, which I have no need for instructions.

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You can use Splenda and it works @rhoda_bruce? I was thinking of going with that but I didn't know if it would work or not. I have some delicious sounding jelly and jam recipes but didn't want to make them if the Splenda (or any other sugar sub) wouldn't work.

I know some people use sugar in their spaghetti sauce. I have only made it from scratch one time and nobody cared for it. *sigh* I worked for HOURS taking out the seeds, removing the skins... LOL I thought "This is going to be GREAT!" but alas it was not. :-( Got a sure fire recipe that I can try?

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@XtreemLee Ooooh!!! That sounds really good!! The only thing that is not currently growing (or will be growing) in my garden is the garlic and onion! I really wanted to put some of those in this year, but, hubby was against it... so instead we got a bed of flowers. :p

How would I modify this to make enough for canning?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've not worked with Splenda, but I've made low sugar preserves using the special pectin-- they turn out tasty, but they seemed to go moldy a lot faster than the full sugar versions. I don't know if the same thing would happen with Splenda, but I suspect it would with stevia

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I need to practice my typing anyway, so here goes:
taken directly form the big yellow book "BALL Complete Book of Home Preserving"

Syrups Sweetened with Artificial Sweeteners
As a general rule, we don't recommend using artificial sweeteners when preserving fruit, as these products can produce a variety of negative effects. For instance, sweeteners containing saccharin may become bitter and present off-flavors during processing, and those containing aspartame may also lose strength during processing or storage.
Most sugar replacements tend to produce some degree of off-flavor when heated. For home canning, sucralose - Splenda - is known to be the most stable when heated, and thus mimics the sweetness of sugar with the least noticeable flavor differences. When using sucralose, start by substituting it for sugar in the extra-light recipe at left. If this syrup is not sweet enough for your taste, increase the sucralose to the level of sugar in the light recipe. Then test one or two jars to make sure the flavor suits your preference once the fruit is processed. Remember, you can always add sweetness, but it is impossible to remove it. If you are watching your sugar intake, for best quality, it may be preferable to preserve fruit in water or unsweetened fruit juice and add sweetener to taste just before serving.

From the chart -
Ultra-light syrup is 1/2 cup sugar to 5 cups water
Extra-light syrup is 1 1/4 cup sugar to 5 1/2 cups water
Light syrup is 2 1/4 cup sugar to 5 1/4 cups water

I canned apple slices in apple juice and it turned out really good. They are yummy in oatmeal. Drained, I use them basic baking like caramel apple bread, apple spice cake, and such.