Sugar free options?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
carrots were used as a sweetener during the Middle Ages, when honey was scarce and sugar was unheard of. They just cooked the carrots down to a paste and used in baking.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very interesting about the carrots. I can see where that would be so, since they are so easy to store.
I just learned also that carrots get sweeter the longer they are stored and they loose the carrot taste, so older carrots would be really good for sweetening things.

kemps

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I too was gonna recommend growing stevia. Not only is a sweatner you can grow yourself but it's also way sweater than sugar meaning you need less and it's perfect for diabetics or even those on low carb diets. :ep I actually plan on growing some myself as I like the idea of growing as much as I can myself. I can't start it now though as I will be moving in a month or so! :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stevia grows like a weed! We have some in two large pots by the front door and we had to cut it back several times during the summer. I tossed the leaves into the dehydrator and they are being stored in a canning jar until I can get around to making the extract.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
if you like hot tea you can just put a stevia leaf or two in with the tea leaves and voilà, sweetened tea. mine grows well here too FEM. and i have had it come up the following year too.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You can just grind the dried leaves to a fine powder for most baked goods. I would love to grow it, but it's not frost resistant at all- I would have to grow it in a heated greenhouse up here. I had one plant once, but when I harvested the leaves I got at the end of the summer, it was only about a teaspoon of ground powder- enough for a few batches of brownies but not enough to keep myself in sweetened tea.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Britesea you just need a bigger flower pot. it isn't frost resistant here either but i cut and pick it all summer long to get enough. and i usually have more than one plant.

creativetwinszoo

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Stevia sounds awesome!
Wonder how well it would convert for canning, as it is much sweeter than regular sugar?