Super Newb

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello everyone!!!!!!!!! Super excited to be here! No I'm not normally this ecstatic but YAY! I found this place! Five years ago I started poking around with the idea of becoming self sufficient but didn't know where to turn. Five years later, I still have no idea but here I am! So excited! I look forward to learning SO MUCH! Thank you for having me

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That's a long list :lol:

Right now I'm trying to learn about gardening and livestock. I have some very basic knowledge but I'd like to learn more about organic practices and gardening in small spaces. I have started researching heritage breeds and have found a few I like and would be interested in but because of where I live now, that's going to have to wait until I buy my own place. So I just do a lot of reading right now.

I have very small experience in dehydrating and own a dehydrator that was given to me without a temp gauge and probably is on it's last leg but it works for bananas. I've never canned but listening to people who've done canning and dehydrating for years I get the impression they'd rather dehydrate than can when they have the choice. I am a decent cook but it would be nice to learn more about how to make some things from scratch instead of getting it at the store. I have a lot of experience sewing. Uhm.... Yeah, a lot of everything I guess

I don't want to go off the grid. My fiance loves his computer and internet to much for that. But I want to be able to survive if something happens

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome. I gardened for years in small beds in our front yard. We had plenty to eat and even some to dehydrate, can and freeze. I also went to U-pick farms for blueberry and blackberries. I froze, made jam and cordial. I understand your longing for more space, but you can do a lot in a small space, plus it will get you some practice! If you want gardening help, TEG is a great site. We just moved to 8 acres and I have a bodacious weed patch to convert to a garden. I'll be starting a thread on TEG on that. Again, welcome, you have come to the right place.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's hard work being self-sufficient-- at any level. That's why so few people opt for that lifestyle. You have to make sacrifices... like fewer, if any, vacations, and going out in the rain or snow to catch an errant animal. But we do it because there is such a rush of satisfaction when you can step back and see all you've accomplished.

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes. I actually have this same username through all four of the sites now... because I got bored and went on them all.

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was actually already a member of the livestock one. I signed up for that one back when I signed up for the chicken site. I had cows and horses back then. A lot of things have happened sense then.

xoxocammyxoxo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother I responded to you but its "awaiting mod approval"

Latest posts