Vinyl--peel and stick

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
also late but my experience has been no matter what the surface the peel and stick vinyl does NOT stick well to vertical surfaces.

im planing on doing metal, preferably copper, either the ceiling tile or sheet metal. im told its easy to cut with tin snips and liquid nails happily holds it in place.

sandy34287

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I just finished using peel 'n stick on my counters. They are beautiful and I found some tempered glass to place over it in the food preparation areas. I do, however, plan on researching a suitable finish. If there is none, I'll just keep the glass. I am very happy with how it turned out AND you can't beat the price!! I spent a total of $30.00!!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi sandy and welcome to the forums.

The glass should do a great job of protecting the peel-n-stick and keeping tiny food particles and harsh cleaners from getting on the vinyl. Will you be able to lift the glass to clean under?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi Sandy, and welcome! :frow

Love the tempered glass idea! I have a thick piece of glass that has beveled edges from a side table around here somewhere. I might have to try using that in the heavy usage area.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The best one I have DIY, was a sheet of window glass form a storm door. I mounted it on the painted wall behind my stove. I used the mirror clips to hold it. All grease and food splatters scraped right off with a razr blade, and the glass polishes nicely with windex. Right now, in this new place, I had no glass, so I bought a piece of the metal backsplash for stoves. It was a markdown item at least. But, I go and look for anything heat and grease resistant. I do not necessarily fry foods, but alot of stuff spatters.

sandy34287

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
FROM THE SUNNY SIDE OF FLORIDA -
SARASOTA COUNTY!!
:thumbsup:thumbsup

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. Yes, the glass does lift up and I have placed a nice cutting board on top. I found the tempered glass at the local re-sale store (Habitat for Humanity). I think I paid $10.00.
Vinyl tile will NOT stick to walls. Maybe if you used an adhesive (type comes in tubes and needs a gun). I used liquid nails and the darn stuff kept slipping down. I even stuck straight pins into the wall to hold it in place, but somehow.....

I'm going to use a roll of metalic finished contact paper to do the fan vent/blower and then a small strip behind stove on the wall.
Then . . . well you get the idea.

Sandy

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My son installed unfinished beadboard in my kitchen, then I coated it with scrub-able paint. When I work in the kitchen, it requires a lot of scrubbing - and it's holding up very well.

1708_001_medium.jpg

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love beadboard. That is very nice looking, and I really like that colour.

:frow Welcome, Sandy!

sandy34287

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning everyone! Well I finished the counter tops and the kitchen cabinets. Unable to take a photo just yet, I still have another (2 of them actually) BIG projects. I plan on using a broken drawer, the drawer front is glued in place, and installing a pull out countertop extension for more work space. That I'll start today. Then when that's finished (yeah, sure, I can do that) I plan on adding a home made cabinet on a wall that has nothing. I will make it out of prefinished shelving. I got a cabinet "door" at the big box store for $2.73 in a mark down area in the cabinets.
So, I hope to be able to take some photos soon.
Batten down the hatches, foul weather is on the way to Florida. Watch, I'll get this all done just time time for it to be blown away by "unnamed hurricane" next weekend.

:D