Wannabefree...guess what I got in the mail today!?!?!?!?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Good greif...I go to the market to sell some pigs chickens and ducks right? Well i sold all the chickens, and traded the ducks. so I wound up coming home with 6 more pigs. I didn't spend any cash, but wow. It was a mad scramble to find space for them. I have 4 preggo sows, and a boar(which I needed) but now I'm thinking of just turning him to sausage and using one of the young boars from the litters to come :hu Or wait till they wean, use him once more, then turn him to sausage....DH is gonna kill me!! But I didn't spend any money!!! :gig I basically got those 5 pigs for $55, which is what I was asking for those ducks. :hu I'll call it good. People are just throwing animals away down here. That's okay though, cause i'm hungry :D Had another guy try to sell me 16 chickens for $40, I almost got them, but I'm too lazy to clean birds this week, maybe next week ;)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that little black and white baby on the back of the truck was too cute, you said shes female right...not that i have anywhere for a piggy to sleep right now lol.

this whole piggy buisness realy seems to have taken off for you though :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
that little black and white baby on the back of the truck was too cute, you said shes female right...not that i have anywhere for a piggy to sleep right now lol.

this whole piggy buisness realy seems to have taken off for you though :)
Yes and she is pregnant as well. I sold the two smallest ones I got in trade today. Have to deliver them before church tomorrow. I made back pretty much what I was out on them and have 3 left :D Let me know if you decide ya want one and have a place for one sis. I'll hook ya up ;) Pigs are pretty easy to get rid of actually, they sell better than most everything else I have worked with besides pullets in the Spring. It has really suprised me! I can't wait till that big momma has her babies...she looks like she'll have about 50 :lol: She is SO huge, bless her little piggy heart.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
lol, she looked ready to pop...seriously im surpised she didnt just have them on the way home...
the black girl looks dang close too! your ging to be a busy piggy momma soon.

you know crump well, when should i start thinking about setting the incubator up for the duckies...wont be setting alot but im hoping to have at least a small batch each weekend to make it worth the gas and hopefully start paying for thier feed.
and how much are runners typically going for?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Just don't let this momma high-tail to the woods at farrowing time....:p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Start a batch to hatch right before Easter. That is the best time to have chicks or ducklings or bunnies. Runners aren't selling all that well. I dunno if they will be soon or not. It does seem that prices are spiking and there is more traffic through the animals than there used to be. So, I dunno really. :hu

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
WBF, you would be proud. My incubator is setup and awaiting the setting of a few (like 4 dozen) eggs :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have another hatch going down tonight. I have already hatched and sold 80 or so last week. I have 3 batches set a week apart, and will be getting more eggs to set next week for pay, and another setting will go down with those for myself to sell as started birds in June. I have a lot going on. I just agreed to haul scrap for a guy, and he will pay me just to haul it. He doesn't have a vehicle that will pull a loaded trailer, but I do :D $100 a load, I'll take fuel cost off the top, and will split it between us(DH and I) and my helper(s) and we can all make some cash. That's easy money there! Well...kinda, we have to unload the trailer, but whatever, that's nothing really.

I got rid of the last two turkey jakes this morning, and two of the pregnant pigs, the two smallest ones that will be months before they are due. I have the other two that are ready to pop out in the barn.

I made tacos with homemade tortillas for dinner. I made homemade salsa to go with, and used ground deer for the meat...they were some of the best I have ever made :drool I'm FULL! I didn't even eat a whole one though. :hu I haven't had much of an appetite lately. Dunno why, but I am liking losing a bit of my winter blubber :lol: I had gained back most of what I had lost before :hide I work my butt off, but was steadily gaining again. I think it was stress of that stupid job :/ Now, I'm losing it again, since I'm home, and the stress level is back down. I actually have time to do stuff, stuff I WANT to do, which is stuff I NEED to do, but I enjoy it, and there is no pressure. My body doesn't deal well with stress apparently.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Road trip to Whiteville today. BORED out of my mind for over an hour, and finally got home. I got a ton of crap to do tomorrow, and then two afternoon appointments. Left one of the guys here to watch over the animals while I was gone...come home to trash strown all over the front yard and fatboy sittin on his butt watching MMA :rant He left the puppy out by herself the WHOLE TIME I was gone, over 3 hours :barnie Some days, some people...and i'm in a bad mood anyway....I am just gritting my teeth waiting for someone to say or do something else stupid today :/ So I come in and put groceries away, cooked us some burgers for lunch, and guess where the knucklehead is now? Yep...sitting on the couch, soaking up the heat, watching MMA, doing NOTHING, enjoying himself immensely I'm sure :rolleyes: I'm about to need some bigger boots :/ My patience is wearing really thin at the moment, so I need to vent, and maybe...MAYBE I can be civilized the rest of the day. I'm about to have to politely ask him to help move some furniture, and I am PRAYING there is no mouthiness, because I will knock him flat out right about now if there is...trying my best to not come unglued here...and he's a big guy, but i just might not be able to control myself today :hide

So frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other more upbeat news, I got my seeds in the mail, a lot of them, but still have some stragglers. The ones i WANT so badly aren't in yet. I can't wait for Spring!!!!!!