What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want a pressure cooker. I know it doesn't seem like winter preparation but what could prepare you more knowing you have some good food waiting in the pantry. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Definitely pressure canner (not cooker). I will probably buy a cheap one but at least I'll have one. I lost mine a few years ago in a move. I keep looking on Craig's List but I guess I'll be getting one from Wallyworld.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I put the sheep in the garden to eat the weeds. They adore ragweed. Something about 100*+ late summer days that killed all ambition to go weed the garden......

I bought cabbage, kale, broccoli plants and onion sets. The sheep are about done in the garden, so I'll finish the clean up and plant my winter plants.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Winter... Plants... What's that?

We just pulled up our tomato plants and shook the remaining tomatoes off them. We currently have free ranging chickens (they escaped and we just havent bothered fixing the fence because they're not bothering anyone) so they've been hanging out eating tomatoes. Might put the little pigs in there soon.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep, I've got cabbage in the ground now. Picked up some broccoli plants the other day and need to get them planted.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Canning, wood gathering, leaf gathering, cleaning out nest boxes, dog boxes, changing out summer tarps for winter tarps, general cleaning and refurbishing of all storage spaces to ready them for storing equipment for the winter months, cleaning out the garden, hauling wood chips back to the garden, detailing the car, and a hundred other little things too many to mention.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've cleaned out nest boxes and all but one coop. Getting straw for the runs tomorrow.

Put up the plastic hardware cloth on the silkie pens to prevent fence fighting because boys are dumb.

Generator is tested and running good.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
so we only have to shovel one path!

And ONE PATH is even an issue when it keeps on coming down! When we have a "big" one foot snow here -- :lol: just a small one for you -- it's a PITA for me. No way I'd stay where it happened over & over, all in ONE year. Yep, a move would happen :lol:

Everyone gets accustomed to their own situation and some even LIKE the cold/snow. It's just not for me. I salute the work you are forced to do in winter. Like heat -- some can & some can't tolerate. We learn to adjust our schedules in heat more easily than snow, IMO.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like some snow but it gets to be a bit much. Our paths get awful narrow by the end of the winter!

I know a lot of people prefer heat to snow, but heat, especially with humidity, makes me physically sick (migraines) so if I leave NH it won't be for anywhere tooo warm!

Fenced the big chickens in the garden this morning. They'll be there until we move the coop to its winter home.