What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We might get some cold weather this year. We moved in February 14, 2015 and 11 days later, it snowed. We got a couple of ice storms, it snowed again and it was COLD! Last year it was hot. We'll see....

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't have a chance for freezing until later this week. Late for us. Our first frost was beginning of September last year.

I switched out chickens from the drinking cups to the rubber water bowls today.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Our forecast is low 20s overnight! Unseasonable. I guess thats the end of my unheated greenhouse season!

I hung a heat lamp in chicken coop so I dont have to do that when its colder. I put a heat pad in cat kennel - which is also in my chicken coop. I will have to switch to heated waterer soon too. I need to find extension cords to plug it all in.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the normal fall routine is to go through each of the gardens that we grow vegetables in and get the debris buried so it looks tidy enough for Mom's perspective. for me it means digging a little bit in each garden, but for the rest of the garden i will skim it quickly with a stirrup hoe and get those weeds buried too.

it has been raining here enough lately that i've not been able to get outside much, but i snuck outside today for the afternoon and worked on burying bean plant debris, weeding and water flow things that are needed to keep the dirt on that slope from being washed away.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And I don’t envy your 6 months of winter! And snow!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
used up the last bucket of ashes yesterday and cleared out parts of two more gardens so am almost done with the largest garden and done well enough with the smaller one. i had to spend some time clipping bean vines off the fence, which sucked with the clippers not being all that good. so when i go to the store tomorrow i'm buying some new ones. these aren't that expensive and having a better pair on-hand is worth it.

i figure i have about seven more holes to dig to bury stuff in four gardens with most of it now being tomato plants. those gardens go much more quickly because i'm not doing any reconditioning of the subsoil in those gardens. just have to dig a deep enough hole and bury and clean up any scraggly weeds that we haven't caught yet. a quick scrape and that is done.

the weather hasn't been very cooperative the past few weeks, but this week later on the forecast says it will be clear so i should be able to have everything pretty much done by the end of this week. IF the forecast is actually right... we'll see... :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

creamy keto pumpkin & sausage chowder
Author:
Mellissa Sevigny
Yield: 8 servings​
INGREDIENTS

1 pound bulk pork sausage
4 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cup solid pack pumpkin puree (or make your own!)
3 cups water
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
3 cups cauliflower rice
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
8 ounces mascarpone cheese

INSTRUCTIONS

1 Brown the sausage in a large saucepan, stirring to break it up into small pieces.
2 Add the chicken broth, pumpkin puree, water, sherry, salt, nutmeg, pepper, garlic, onion, and cauliflower. Simmer 20 minutes.
3 Add the mascarpone cheese and sage. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, for five minutes or until the cheese has melted into the broth and is creamy and smooth. Do not boil.
4 Serve hot.
5 Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Thanks for the recipe! I’ll have to try this!