What are you all doing to prepare for winter?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
They look good. I always laugh at the people who turn their noses up at the 2nd and 3rds at the fruit stands when they're canning, freezing or dehydrating. They have to have the perfect fruit. My opinion? As long as it taste good, who cares?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish my mother had talked more about her life in France, before the war. From what I can tell, it hadn't changed all that much from the Middle Ages.
Lol, I do remember one story she told us, about her father going into the river to "tickle" the fish... he didn't want to get his own underwear wet, so he put on a pair of her mother's underwear instead. He didn't realize until it was too late that the water made the underwear completely transparent; my 8 year old mom got quite an education that day!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Mini Horses i lived in wv for about 17 years and loved it there. would probably have stayed but couldn't deal with seeing my x with his new girlfriend. small town and there was no way not to. so i tucked tail and headed back to Arklahoma. i was in the Buckhannon/Weston area and that is where i plan to go back and visit at the end of October if all goes as planned. i can't wait, i haven't been back for several, several years and am anxious to see old friends and even the x with his now 4th wife. i love karma

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
All of our winter prep chores have paid off and continue to do so. The winter has finally come and the wood supplies are good to have. The coop is cozy and warmed from the composting DL and sunlight through the clear tarp. The dog's dens are stuffed with hay and well insulated against the cold and their lounge area is full of hay and leaves.

The canned chicken, deer and veggies are warming us with hearty soups and stews.

The thick layer of wood chips and leaves on the garden are keeping the soil there warmed and active with earthworms, which are busy helping with the composting of those materials. The same is happening with the leaves and chips around the apple trees and perennial beds.

Just a few more months and we start the year of seasons all over again, growing and storing all spring/summer/fall for the winter ahead. I LOVE this life lived by the seasons and always have. The rhythm of seasonal chores is comforting and satisfying to perform and gives a peace in the heart and mind when thinking of cold months ahead.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of life is shut down from December through March. January and February are the worst. The bears hibernating is a bonus! Nice to not have to worry about them for a few months!

I bought 3 of those fancy, safer heat lamps from Premier 1 in case of cold weather kidding. We are waiting for our friend to bring his tractor over and do site work for the barn, while he's here we'll also have him move the big chicken coop and the big outbuilding we can't move by hand. We are moving everyone to one area for winter so we only have to shovel one path!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have really warm, seldom worn winter boots but, broke down and bought some Sperry Rand's for everyday...rubber bottoms work in this wet grass. Did order on line. Not a big online shopper.

Winter clothes all washed and ready. Too many to wear out. Nothing new for me besides those boots. Lucky me. :oops: