WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I get into kind of a rhythm.

The first thing I do when getting ready to can is to re-wash the jars I am planning to use.
Then I clean the kitchen up some and begin to lay out the necessary supplies while the jars drain in my drainer.

Several years back I bought a commercial full sheet pan from a restaurant supply. It is so big it would NEVER fit into a home oven (a half sheet WILL fit to give you an idea of it's size), but it is perfect for canning! After cleaning off the counters I place the full sheet pan on top of them. This is where I fill those jars and make my mess. Then when I am done I just carry the pan to the sink to wash it clean. Then I top it with an old towel to receive the finished jars hot from the canner. It is also where I do my food processing and blending and all of the rest of those messy prep chores. It works a dream to keep the kitchen tidy! :) Also in my canning arsenal are two HUGE stainless steel bread mixing bowls, several big deep colanders, several big deep stainless stockpots, a food processor, a mandolin (the kind you slice with NOT the kind you play :p), a blender and a nice deep two well commercial kitchen sink! All tools to make processing a large quantity easier. (I chose to have a commercial sink INSTEAD of a dishwasher and love it!)

When I am actually ready to begin canning, after the beginning prep work is done, I start the water in the water bath canner or pressure canner first. It does take a long time to heat up! Then I start water to boil my jars. As the jars are boiled and ready I fill and seal them, then place them in the canner rack. This allows them to start coming up to temperature and reduces the time somewhat. When the jars (or canner) are all filled I lower the jars in or seal the canner. And the waiting for boiling or pressure to raise begins.

While waiting I fill the jars for the next canner load or if I am done for the day begin the clean up. Time flies when you are cleaning the kitchen. This is also a good time while watching pressure gauges and time to prep for family meals, clean the refrigerator or other "in-the-kitchen-close-by" jobs.

After time is up I turn off the flame on the pressure canner and I am free for a while until pressure goes down. With water bath canning I lift out the jars and put them on the waiting towel in my sheet pan. Dump the boiling water out (in summer ... in winter I leave it till it cools - no since wasting the extra heat and humidity it gives :) ), clean up and am done!

Combine this rhythm with doing as much peeling, shucking, snapping and sorting as possible either in front of the TV, or on the front porch swing while visiting and canning gets easier and easier.

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Firefyter-Emt said:
Well, it's been a while... Last night I put up 10 quarts of chicken soup.... Well, chicken / turkey really, I had saved a few quarts of chicken broth from the last time and added it to turkey soup. You can cry fowl if you like! :lol:

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/10409.jpg
Your chicken soup looks yummy!
I canned 7 quarts of chicken soup last night and put some noodles in it. They all turned out looking nice except for 1 quart absorbed all most of the broth. Since I have canned with the noodles I have been reading that most people don't can the noodles in their chicken soup. Is it because of the absorption? Is it still safe to eat with the noodles? I am fairly new to canning but I am getting there. lol....

Thanks
Kim

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Kim, I tried it too at first, but not only did the noodles absorb the liquid, they turned to mush after a while. It was yucky. I get these one cup sized pasta packs 3/1.00 and use half of one for each quart when i am cracking open the jar to eat.

kimnkell said:
Firefyter-Emt said:
Well, it's been a while... Last night I put up 10 quarts of chicken soup.... Well, chicken / turkey really, I had saved a few quarts of chicken broth from the last time and added it to turkey soup. You can cry fowl if you like! :lol:

I canned 7 quarts of chicken soup last night and put some noodles in it. They all turned out looking nice except for 1 quart absorbed all most of the broth. Since I have canned with the noodles I have been reading that most people don't can the noodles in their chicken soup. Is it because of the absorption? Is it still safe to eat with the noodles? I am fairly new to canning but I am getting there. lol....

Thanks
Kim

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all, have a question!!! How do I go about canning chicken broth? I have already taken the bones, skin, spices and water and cooked it in the crockpot overnight, so can I can it from here? I usually put it in a zip lock bag when cool and lay it flat to freeze in the freezer but thought I might try canning some, Lynn

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Kim, I tried it too at first, but not only did the noodles absorb the liquid, they turned to mush after a while. It was yucky. I get these one cup sized pasta packs 3/1.00 and use half of one for each quart when i am cracking open the jar to eat.

kimnkell said:
Firefyter-Emt said:

Thanks
Kim
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I guess we have to learn as we go. I think I'll have the one that absorbed the liquid for supper tonight. My next batch I'll leave the noodles out.

Thanks
Kim

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Greybear23 said:
Hi all, have a question!!! How do I go about canning chicken broth? I have already taken the bones, skin, spices and water and cooked it in the crockpot overnight, so can I can it from here? I usually put it in a zip lock bag when cool and lay it flat to freeze in the freezer but thought I might try canning some, Lynn
Hi Lynn,
I am canning chicken broth right now and the way I am do it is sterilize my jars in the dishwasher and pour the broth into the jars after they are done and seal and put them in my canner for 90 minutes at 11 pounds pressure. Turns out great! I have 7 quarts in the canner right now and will probably have another batch or two tonight. Good Luck with your canning.

Kim

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm canning more tomato sauce. I am waiting for the water to heat up and the jars to be done (I put mine in the dish washer to sterilize and heat them, I have a too small kitchen, so I found the dishwasher a handy way to do this). I'll be putting this batch in pint jars. There are only the two of us, and we often only need a pint. This is also a good amount, when we make pizza.
I canned a jar of apple juice earlier, I just poured the hot liquid in the jar and put the lid on. I will keep this refrigerated though until I am ready to use it. I'm not sure yet what I'll make with it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I did 18 quarts of pickled beets. I am officially out of jars. Two of my jars (#s 19 and 20) broke in the canner, one while I was sterilizing, one after it was filled :() I saved the crappiest jars for last. Oh well, I'm done for now until or unless I get more jars. Apples and deer if I do get more jars.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think I'm finished with canning apple cider at 68 qts. Now to move on to making some vinegar, apple sauce and freezing some for making apple pies.

I got a sweet little apple peeler/corer/slicer today and it is soooooo fun to use! :D