WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the review. That looks delish! I'll be working on some of those at some point in the coming week.

if you have extra Purple Dove dry beans you can mix them in with the Navy or Great Northern beans. they are a mild Pinto flavor and cook faster than the Pinto beans.

i never have any trouble with having extra beans... :)

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here ya go -- if you told me these were Bushes home style, I'd believe you! Not to sweet, salty, etc. personally, I'm doing more ☺️. Now, I'm going to add a tablespoon of BBQ sauce to it (or tsp dry) because I like that & doit to bought canned ones. You could add bacon bits to canned mix -- in case no bacon at cooking. I like strips on top when I bake them & didn't today.

I used great northerns. Cooked fine. Bean held shape, soft inside. Navy smaller, might be tiny bit softer. I'm fine with these GN. Could use pinto.

Recipe uses powdered onion, or fresh. I tossed in a couple tbsp chopped dehydrated I wanted to use up. Next, I figure it costs about 60 cent a qt, plus a lid. Much better than $2-3 for store canned.

View attachment 25913
I have used a few of the jars of beans I canned earlier this year. They were way mushy! (Still edible and tasted good though.) Next time I am going to do the No soak method you recommended. I am now of the opinion that soaking before canning is way overkill.

I also think I will try this baked bean recipe. Looks yummy!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Actually @Chic Rustler was the one who started my rinse & can beans. They DO come out better I'm sure. Before I didn't even can dried beans but, knew cooking before would be overkill. Too many years of cooking pots of them. ☺️ Having some cooked to use with only the heat up & season was a good idea. Now I can have them for chili, etc, anytime & it even saves the defrost time from that prior method, plus freezer room. Oh I still cook pots & freeze sometimes. 🤷

Now -- I need to be building more shelves before summer veg canning comes around 😳🤣🤣 Once I harvest & need to fill these hundreds of jars -- I'll need more than boxes! 🤔 I may be over providing my needs. But long shelf life, so whatever. Can always feed to chickens.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We don't eat a lot of potatoes around here. Because of that, if I do buy them it's quite possible that they will get nasty before we use them up. Today I noticed that 10lbs of russet potatoes at kroger were buy one, get one. I've got a load in the canner as we speak. I've canned Yukon Gold previously and they were good. Not sure how russets will do - but I guess I'll find out.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You generally mash them when using because of that.
I've got no objections to mashed potatoes, lol! Grands love them too. My original idea was to have a few 'taters to toss into a soup or stew. In those instances, DH has to be very careful about what gets ladled into his bowl.