WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
unclejoe said:
freemotion said:
(those awful Golden Harvest jars really mess up the loading capacity!)
I feel your pain free. :he I mentioned this awhile back when I discovered it. Don't remember if it was this thread or not. I bought a dozen last year at Big Lots because they were cheaper and found out that all 7 qts wouldn't fit in the pot. They're now relegated to the back of the shelf and won't be pulled out unless I run out of jars and can't run out to get the real thing.
Another example of you get what you pay for. :rolleyes:
I did a quick picture search out of curiosity. I don't think I've ever seen them in my region and wondered why they wouldn't fit in the canners right. Interestingly, the results took me to a site that sells them for candlemaking. Hmmmm. Seems like that would be a good way to use them up? Jarred candles in the store seem so expensive and they do make nice gifts.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
They were only a few cents cheaper and NOT-NOT-NOT worth it!!!

See, I'm so mad I'm stuttering! :rolleyes:
I got them for $6 compared to $10 for Ball. Soooooooo not worth it.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
prism said:
and wondered why they wouldn't fit in the canners right.
They have a larger diameter than the Ball. I think I was able to squeeze 5 into the rack by really pushing and turning but they would bend the metal and not allow enough space to fill the last 2 slots

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know this kinda relates to a question I have. I took out my rack and put the metal flat disc thing from my pressure canner in the bottom. My jars fit much nicer and I don't have the problem of trying to see where everything goes.

Do you think this is an issue? I can fit more in the pot this way. I usually do small batches of canning so I don't think overfilling the pot is going to be an issue.

Oh and I canned 4 quarts of free pears into my free jars a couple days ago. They turned out just beautiful and delicious. Off to raid the tree again this morning. :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
On Friday I did 14 quarts of tomatoes, and 7 quarts of tomato sauce. the sauce looks good. the tomatoesare all floated up to the top--touching the lid, and the water level is different in every jar. Is this all right or did I screw them up somehow? right now I am cooking more tomato sauce. I'm afraid to do more plain tomatoes b/c of the way the other ones turned out.

Any words of wisdom??

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi all, I scored big time, I got about 6 dozen quart jars with rings and flats, cleaned and boxed for free from a friend that did not have time to can and garden this year!!! WoooHooo!!!! Have a question! I canned some Tomato jelly in half pint jars, it did not set up(jell) like it should, I will still use it as a glaze but am wondering if I did something wrong, I used and followed the Ball Blue Books recipe, any ideas????? Lynn

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I did 24 quarts of a family recipe tomato soup today. It is very thick with pureed vegetables and a spicy V-8 taste. We use it as a base for cabbage rolls, chili and vegetable soups, also satisfying on its own. This is my second batch, looks like I'll get one or two more this season. When the tomatoes begin spotting I no longer can them for storage but use for more immediate meals.
I canned these last weekend so this gives me 54 quarts so far.

Yesterday I dug 250 lbs of red potatoes. I'm not canning them but it was so much work that I need to claim my glory!
Very sore. :/

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Still canning tomatoes here. I may actually get DONE today though we'll be picking again on Tuesday so I'll be back at it then. Tomorrow I'll finish up the tomato juice by making it into V8 juice and canning that.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
On Friday I did 14 quarts of tomatoes, and 7 quarts of tomato sauce. the sauce looks good. the tomatoesare all floated up to the top--touching the lid, and the water level is different in every jar. Is this all right or did I screw them up somehow? right now I am cooking more tomato sauce. I'm afraid to do more plain tomatoes b/c of the way the other ones turned out.

Any words of wisdom??
As far as the floating tomatoes are concerned, mine do that as well. I just give each jar a good shake to get the head space back at the top of the jar and the tomatoes back where they belong after the seal is made and the jars are cool. I do it as I am removing the rings, washing and labeling the jars for storage.

As for water level, be sure it is the same in each jar as you fill it and then cool the jars evenly. Sometimes the water will siphon out of a jar if you try to cool a pressure canner too quickly. If you are water bath canning I don't know what might cause a jar to siphon.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Greybear23 said:
Hi all, I scored big time, I got about 6 dozen quart jars with rings and flats, cleaned and boxed for free from a friend that did not have time to can and garden this year!!! WoooHooo!!!! Have a question! I canned some Tomato jelly in half pint jars, it did not set up(jell) like it should, I will still use it as a glaze but am wondering if I did something wrong, I used and followed the Ball Blue Books recipe, any ideas????? Lynn
Great find on the jars. I did a tomato jam this year as well. First time for me. The recipe did not call for any pectin so it was the simmer downand sugar that thickened it up. Maybe you could re process. I am pretty sure you can do this with jam.

Great job on the potatoes Sylvie.

I canned more pears today. My family is eating as fast as I can them though.