What are you fermenting today?

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, salsa I didn't think of that. I'm going to have to make some. Made some pickles tonight :) I just finished a crock. I hope they turn out. Now to wait 25 days........are they done yet? :lol:

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Found the recipe for cucumber salsa in the archives !

chicken stalker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband just freaked. All I heard is "What the !!! EWWW!!! The basalmic vinegar is bad!!!!!!!!!!!!" I ran across the house to save it! There is a big blob that almost fills a 1/4 cup. It looks exactly like a blob of black currant jelly. Do I have a mother??? It is Wegmans brand vinegar but has the Modena seal. Can I use it in any kind of vinegar making?

I'm soooo excited! :weee

ooohhh can I stick it into a cheap bottle of red wine? I use balsamic here all the time. I would love to make it but it looks to be long and complicated. Any mock balsamic recipes??

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:
My husband just freaked. All I heard is "What the !!! EWWW!!! The basalmic vinegar is bad!!!!!!!!!!!!" I ran across the house to save it! There is a big blob that almost fills a 1/4 cup. It looks exactly like a blob of black currant jelly. Do I have a mother??? It is Wegmans brand vinegar but has the Modena seal. Can I use it in any kind of vinegar making?

ooohhh can I stick it into a cheap bottle of red wine? I use balsamic here all the time. I would love to make it but it looks to be long and complicated. Any mock balsamic recipes??
Any updates? Hope it worked out for you.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:

Sure sounds like vinegar mother to me. I don't know about making balsamic, but you should be able to make your own wine vinegar by adding it to any wine you have. I kept a bottle of homemade vinegar going for more than 10 years, by adding leftover wine to the bottle. Even the stuff left in a glass overnight.

I am fermenting grapes at the moment. I thought we ha lots of grapes, but many raisined, before I got to pick them and about half had mold. so I tossed them. I hope to get a bucket of grapes from BIL, he grows zinfandel grapes north of us. I just want to try and make my own wine and hve it work out, at least once. My experiment last year was ok, but I would like get something that resembles real wine.
I could experiment with other and even carrots. but since I am babysittig the grand baby, my time and energy are a bit shot.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
I started sauerkraut today! Wish me luck.
I made sauerkraut last week a la the NT recipe. I let it sit for three days and when I tasted it after the three days, I found it was terribly salty. I thought I had measured out the salt wrong. But I figured I could tough it out and put it in the fridge. Now, a week later, it is great. so, just in case yours comes out like mine did, don't be discouraged. My hubby, who is German, even said it was good. I never liked sauerkraut growing up, and had not had it in aobut 25 years, but I figured like Free says--a tablespoon isn't gonna kill you , so I made it. and even I like it.

Good luck!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am fermenting some sourdough starter today. I had to decide if I wanted to try the potato starter, or the sourdough starter first, and I went with the sourdough starter cuz it seemed easier.