What are you fermenting today?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I started a batch of sauerkraut with onions, caraway and carrots. I've not experimented with adding anything to the cabbage on any of my sauerkrauts yet. Also using my new weights for the first time. So far, it's been much easier than dealing with the jars and plastic bags of brine!

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My sourdough is done, and now I've moved on to fermented pickles. I've never tried this before, so it will be interesting to taste the difference between fermented and canned pickles.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Just started a 3 gallon jar of old fashioned kraut.
Planning on several quart jars of the fast kind as well today, as well as a batch of fermented rutabaga's!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You guys are making want to me some sauerkraut. My mom is staying with us for a while and I think she might have fun doing that with me.

Blue Egg Jo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I recently got my SO a harsch crock for our 4 year anniversary. We started fermenting weinkraut in it last Sunday. So, maybe a couple more weeks to go! It's stinking up the room but it's a pleasant kraut smell if that makes sense :lol:

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blue Egg Jo said:
I recently got my SO a harsch crock for our 4 year anniversary. We started fermenting weinkraut in it last Sunday. So, maybe a couple more weeks to go! It's stinking up the room but it's a pleasant kraut smell if that makes sense :lol:
Ooh, congrats on your anniversary. I got a Harsch crock off craigslist recently and have a batch of sauerkraut fermenting in there. Hope DH likes it. :fl

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made some fermented pickles and they are delicious! And it was soooo easy. I'm doing it again next year. I also made some ketchup and it has a white fuzzy mold on top. I read through this thread awhile ago so I couldn't remember exactly. Isn't mold ok? Don't I just spoon it off the top?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just spoon off the top, wipe around the inside of the jar (you can use a rag with a bit of vinegar, wrung out well, on it if you'd like, to help kill the mold spores on the inside of the jar. They'll still be there, but not so bad) and you can salt the top a bit heavily to reduce more mold. Might work. Might have to scrape mold each time. It happens. Don't let it discourage you, the next batch could be trouble-free. I have more mold this year with all the rainy dampness. There are a lot more mold spores in the air.