What did you do to be/become more self-reliant today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I love the "what did you do to save money today" and "what did you do to make money today" threads. They motivate me and give me great ideas!

We moved to the farm just over a year ago, and there's so much I haven't done (or attempted) yet!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your dog listens?:lol: mine don't!

Yes he's gotten better about it. He grew up with a type A SUPER controlling father so he hates feeling like he's being told what to do. So after 6 1/2 years of marriage I have finally figured out how to suggest without putting him off! And he's learned I'm not trying to control his life!

I'm going to pass on some of my Mom's wisdom to you. She told me at a very young age, "you plant a tiny seed in their minds. You water it, nurture it, and watch it grow. Then it comes out of their mouth-all their idea- and you exclaim, I'M SO GLAD YOU THOUGHT OF THAT!"

It works. All you need is patience. ;)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
A day late, but I was too tired to write yesterday. I found a wonderful source of free firewood in a piece of woodland not too far from my house. Broken and fallen branches and some that were chopped down and left… I took my handsaw with and collected 3 loads yesterday. I plan to heat with mostly the wood burner and the open fireplace this winter, as heating oil is quite expensive. So I'm going to need a LOT of wood!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today we bought 4 sheep, bred ewes due in a couple of weeks to a month and a half. I have wanted sheep for 5 years. I am so excited to finally get sheep. They are Dorper/Katahdin cross, bred to a Katahdin ram. My goal since buying our new place is to be able to provide for ourselves, DD and her family. Sheep, being small livestock, are much easier to deal with than 1500 pound cattle. ;) We got feeder pigs a couple of weeks ago. Dreams are coming true!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sort of on the self reliant front, I am working on finances today. We don't have a lot of excess expenditures, but I have a few things I think we can work on trimming down. My husband works for someone doing carpentry/odd jobs, and some concrete work. He works random hours and days, and it's nice because on a random Monday like today he can stay home and work on coops! (although he did just run to work for a few hours)

I told DH he needs to look at this with me when he gets home because he is the one who is bad with money! I have broken it down into approximately how many hours he has to work each month to pay for things so he can think about whether it's worth it or not!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Fixing daily routine problems (especially those around schooling at home) is a big hang-up for me. Seems that all the time I *should* be spending on homesteading and self-reliance projects is sucked up in child discipline issues. So today, my baby step towards self-reliance is changing things up so DS8's slacking becomes HIS problem, not my problem. I hope to find some "free" time to get started on other things.... like canning tomatoes.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I don't know if it will count, but I've been looking at sheds for sale, for future poultry houses. Got put off very quickly by the ridiculous asking prices though. I can get pallets at €2 each near here...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I used the internet to learn how to use borax in my HE washer. I was on the verge of purchasing new bedding because it's been holding onto stink. ****I will not go shopping.... I will not go shopping.... I will not go shopping****

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a source for produce from a wholesaler that is "close dated" and gets chucked instead of sold. (all cold, bagged/boxed, etc.) Nice. Chickens & piggies love me, but this week I was able to get huge amounts of fresh mixed salad greens, cole slaw, and fresh asparagus bundles. The asparagus was beautiful and I blanched & froze almost 20#. Two pineapples are waiting for me to cut and cook or process. Put couple pounds of the slaw in a small container to use with me boston butt that was cooking and the other 60# the pigs are still working through. LOL Everyone loved the lettuces, celery, raw cabbage, 80# of tomatoes, etc. YES--big truck load. Will go there Mon for another load. Never know what's there but, always nice produce &/or fruit. Talk about spoiled?? My pigs sure are.

Always wanted an asparagus bed, this is easier.