What did you do to be/become more self-reliant today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's a very nice deal and can be overwhelming. In summer, heat creates issues with many things, storage wise. Now that it's cooling off, it is easier to use at a slower pace.

When I see things - 50# of potatoes with 2 bad in the bag, can't sell it -- you kinda get the idea. Shame that the wholesaler loses money, I can see why the restaurants don't want to take close dates and not use it all, etc. Our food system has flaws but, some just can't be easily solved. Much of this is certified organic too. It's a great connection for me that I "happened" upon.

I can tell you this, based on what my chickens & pigs eat, an acre of tomato plants would be useful :p Guess that's an excuse to plant more. They are sure gobbling them up! I'm trying to find a farmer with a patch of pumpkins that I could get the unsolds. They keep nicely for a good long time...and the goats like those also.

I've gotten some great things this way -- freezer has been filling. One week I got 10# of chopped red onions. They sell them in trays of 5# each, two to a box, and I broke those down into 1 to 2# pkgs for the freezer. Cooked up about 15# of already chopped cabbage one week and got about 15 each of those red, yellow, orange sweet peppers which I chopped and froze. Those are the ones we pay $1.50 each in the store!! Since they supply mainly restaurants, most things are partially prepped for use. I'm loving it.

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's ok @Mini Horses ....... it's ok. Take a deep breath and repeat after me...... going to an auction unprepared is a GOOD thing! Going to an auction unprepared is a GOOD thing! :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wanted to paint a little accent wall green. I DID NOT drive 30 mile round trip to buy paint. In fact, I didn't even buy paint! I went to the basement, pulled out some old stuff and mixed up just the color I wanted. :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Those of us with animals -- most of us, some more than others
need to be looking at what we feed and WHERE it comes from. We are seeing huge areas of flood & tornado right now. While we all look at the dramatic and terrible immediate impact to those in the immediate area, we all need to keep in mind that these disasters actually have a long term effect on price & supply. The droughts a few years back made hay almost non-existant, at any price. Much of these weather situations are taking place where it will affect the country from coast to coast in some way.

Of course, this will be true with our own "people food" and supplies. Not only will many factories and storage depots be destroyed, roads & RR, equipment, supplies & livestock will be limited. The ground where farms once operated will be compromised and chemicals & waste materials will be everywhere. We are taking years, not months, for clean up.

If there was EVER a time when those who have the ability to be SS to do so, it is now. I see the ripple effects being great. And I have been concerned with safe food for a long time, now that concern has increased. Things will recover but, will be years. Look at LA & NJ. Some areas still are not recovered.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baymule, I had already ordered my mangel beet seeds will do those this Spring. Plus have about 10 pkgs of pumpkin, plus chicory, turnips, etc. These are agreeable animal feeds -- most of us just don't use them. I plan to start...that is part of my "plans for 2016". I've had vetch growing for a while but, expanding that along with strips of various "feed lot" seeding (deer feed lot pkgs) that I got on closeout. Tried some last yr and it went well. the goats eat much like deer and it's a combo seed, lots of good things in there.

I've been letting my little pigs pre-till the areas for my 3 sister plantings. I will let the corn & beans dry on some, for in house beans, non GMO corn for animals....the pumpkins under those will feed many things and stores well. My comfrey is working & will increase in Spring, Sunflowers again for BOSS. Some winter wheat growing now, buckwheat seed here for late next summer. Both good ground cover, feed & seed.

Yep, stocking up and planning ahead. It is inevitable that prices will go up as supply goes down. Everyone should take an extra look at what they now have & later need. I believe most of us do that, just not as far ahead as we should now with these weather disasters. My seed stock (heirloom, most organic, some odd things or feed) is probably at about 3 yrs out. I can save see from plants. I see chicken & turkey in my butchering plans for 2016 -- haven't done that in a while. Already have pigs & goats working for Spring/Summer freezer camps. Milk & cheese starts up with Jan kidding......

I feel pretty ok, actually. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
well, "hero" is a little extreme...:lol: but, thanks anyway.
This is not your first farm and you aren't a whole lot younger than me. You can do it. Older we get the more we need to work manually & eat well....stay healthy.

Like many things, you learn to do "stuff" out of necessity. So, starts with milking a very generous goat. 1-1.5 gal a day. Day 5 you open fridge & it's wall to wall milk! Make cheese --the soft & fast kind -- it's great for spreads, lasagna, etc. Chickens love it I haven't gotten to hard cheese yet but, HOPE to do that with this Spring milking. I will have 3 does going strong! The one gives 1-1.5 gal. Of course, I have 4 young porkers now, so they share milk & cheese when overrun (have helped use up excess from freezer). Helps with feed bill as it's good protein & calcium. And I make goat milk soaps. Do a couple Fall market things most years. This yr not. But, keep it in a couple beauty shops and sell some there. Occasionally at a Farmers Market, etc.

Wheat is a small overseeded pasture area, got seed from farmer next field over & is really to help with some winter graze -- a small patch will mature for next yr seed. It's a "try it" thing...but, grows great in winter....nice graze if limited amounts. Next yr, buckwheat seeds are here for late summer. It dies in cold but grows super fast, can cut & dry. My vetch has been a nice early spring graze for couple yrs. Legume, so sets nitrogen and good protein graze.

This will be first year for mangels for me. Had seed and didn't get it out this year. Glad now with all the excessive rain. I understand they will get very large. I plan to use my machete to cut them, then put into a large bucket and chop with a tool I have that looks like a hoe that is not bent but just straight up & down, use like a plunger. They just need a little help with size of whole being so large.

Sunflowers did well but only planted about 50. Need about 200. Won't get there but, some helps, right? In this area of VA we grow peanuts, so I can get shells & "sweepings" from the shelling operation for use with chickens, pigs, goats. Free. Those shells have a lot of fiber and protein....Baled P-nut vines are cheap here and the goats love it. Like a browse for them. It's cheap, too. But need to get before heavy rain on it to keep nutrition.

So...I will need about 50 cats for mousers!!

Farming is a lot of work!!!! This will be the first time in a few years that I can actually devote my time as I used to do. (My mom was here & required a lot of care, now at point that needed 2 people 24/7, so in a facility) Plus I bought a tractor this summer & that helps with many things I need to do here.

Like most, I'm hoping 2016 is a banner year. I need one to keep motivated. :D Really just want to make farm support the animal feed bills...by growing stuff &/or selling stuff. Need to do as I feel some supply issues/price issues across country coming on....as I posted before. Besides, I love my farm life.

It's hard to start at a new place like you have, with needing to set it up for "you" use, etc. I did that here -- hard work. You will find the best place for your garden. Texas can be tough! Been there several times and many extremes as you drive along. You know that -- it will work out eventually. Getting a system in place is necessary and maybe hardest to do when you have to devote so much to "getting set-up". Cramps your style. Seems I'm always re-working something. Hope I have it about done for awhile -fences, sheds, etc.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I sold some things for profit. I want an asparagus bed myself...it's on my wish list for the garden.

I've read that asparagus seed doesn't start well, but that hasn't been my experience at all! I have found that yearling asparagus plants sell well at swap meets. Hubby was put out that sold them all last year. :silly: I will probably start another batch to sell next year. I used thick wood shavings mulch after the seedlings popped up, and only weeded once before mulching. It's almost no work at all and yearling plants sell for $1 each!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I look at my work assignments for the week & the weather. Then I decide WHAT must be done & when. I can work in a store during rain, can't plow or fence very well. My work days get moved/combined to allow less gas & trips. Combine shopping with work days...etc. Helps me save $$$ & get things done at home -- well, mostly :lol: But, does make me THINK about planning more. I also plan meals same way...pack or stop back at home between stores.

Some jobs I can't change day/time but, one employer it's pretty ok 99% of time.

Your DH does think about things, it appears, once it's discussed in a good way. I'm alone, only the dog to listen. :caf

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The pallets I've seen around here are mostly quite large and have a lot of planks in them, top and bottom, with narrow strips in-between the planks. What I'm thinking is take the planks off one side, fill most of the strips in-between the other side/remove and nail the planks back on, but snug together. Use the resulting "panels" for coop walls? It would be more labour intensive but it beats the tar out of a 8x8 shed for €500-700, which is what I've seen locally. Metal sheeting for the roofs can be had for as little as €1.50 per ft, so the costs would be minimal.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
How big were the loads?
As much as I could fit my (poor) car! I'd say I have a largish truckload at the moment. I will have to go back a few more times and collect more, but this pile will keep me going for a bit. It's a start...

Latest posts