What did you do to be/become more self-reliant today?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I went to a goat auction and did NOT buy anything!!

Had planned to go to just see what was going on, what was selling, etc. and network. Innocent bystander. Watch some of the goats being checked in and not impressed, so went on to the stalls where previous check-ins were located. Some really cute sheep -- I don't do sheep and these were pet calm not butcher stock for me -- and then, a lot of about 10 Boer/Nubian crosses, all bred and heavy. Due 12/12. Well, I just wanted a couple of them!!! (Not taking a heavy bred doe to a strange place without a herd mate! So, had to buy 2) Then went in to wait for the auction, realized I had NOT checked in and gotten a # to bid.

Walked to office, needed my ID and went to truck for it. I realized I had NO trailer or cage with me....I was not planning on any buys. Then reminded myself I had 7 does bred at home! So, I left!!!!!!! :he:hit Saved several hundred but, I am really, really sad as these were such nice animals. Just really do not need any more nice animals, especially with winter coming. Some days are tough.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's ok @Mini Horses ....... it's ok. Take a deep breath and repeat after me...... going to an auction unprepared is a GOOD thing! Going to an auction unprepared is a GOOD thing! :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wanted to paint a little accent wall green. I DID NOT drive 30 mile round trip to buy paint. In fact, I didn't even buy paint! I went to the basement, pulled out some old stuff and mixed up just the color I wanted. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today we bought 4 sheep, bred ewes due in a couple of weeks to a month and a half. I have wanted sheep for 5 years. I am so excited to finally get sheep. They are Dorper/Katahdin cross, bred to a Katahdin ram. My goal since buying our new place is to be able to provide for ourselves, DD and her family. Sheep, being small livestock, are much easier to deal with than 1500 pound cattle. ;) We got feeder pigs a couple of weeks ago. Dreams are coming true!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
GOOD move, @tortoise. Recycled, saved time & $$$...got the job done. Feels good, right?

Baymule......It's ok to go to an auction unprepared !!!! Sorta sucks but, it's OK. Actually, the does were beautiful and I just wanted them. Didn't need them and not raising meat goats any more -- however, I am still "seeing them!!"

I did finish my hog house today and moved it to the new area where I will put the girls tomorrow after the fence panels are up. Will do another hut later in week, for the boys. For now they have the smaller one that is fine for several months. But separating sexes before sex! :p

Also, got a fence line cleaned of some honeysuckle vines, well the majority of the overgrowth now seen since goaties ate the leaves. About 50' of it! Replaced a couple boards on fence. Picked up 6 new hens and have them here to begin associating with others thru fence, tomorrow morning. Navy fam leaving town and had to rehome. Nice hens!! 2 Orpingtons, 2 comets, 2 Americauna--blue eggs. Excited!

Listed all the seeds I have on hand to prevent ordering more of those as these catalogues come in and tempt us. We get so over enthused with those listings and it all LOOKS so good, sounds so good --- it's addictive. The list will help me. I've already got more duplicates than I need :hide At least many of the things can/will be used to feed chickens, pigs & goats.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I need to go thru my seeds as well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
We found a rental property that is almost exactly what I was looking for :) It has a large outside space for poultry and a garden, loads of trees, including some apple trees, in the garden and even a barn. The house is a smallish, older style, renovated farm house. I'm more interested and really exited about that barn! We are going to meet with the landlord soon and see how things go :fl In the meantime I have to go for a small surgical procedure tomorrow, so I have been flat out this week, preparing and getting as much as possible done beforehand.