What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I sat home today. I also cleaned the brooder to get it ready for the new residents supposed to be moving in the next couple days ;) I set more eggs as soon as I took those out, so more chicks to sell.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I sat home today. I also cleaned the brooder to get it ready for the new residents supposed to be moving in the next couple days ;) I set more eggs as soon as I took those out, so more chicks to sell.
I need to do the same. Do you stick with raising purebreds to sell or do you also hatch mutts? and do they sell?
We were given an incubator and want to take advantage of it.
We don't need more laying hens for ourselves, but it sure would be nice to have another way of making some $$$. ;)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
kimnkell said:
FarmerDenise said:
We are hunkering down today. It is raining and we have had a rough week. I decided to make some crackers, that I can eat, from scratch. They turned out very nice and we are having them with some canned sardines.
This will be a good base recipe for me. I love crackers, but I since I have to stay away from refined carbohydrates, sugars and other refined foodstuff, I rarely get to eat any.
Homemade crackers sounds great..Would you mind sharing the recipe with us? I would love to try them. :D
Here is the link to the recipe I used. I will also post it in the recipe section.
http://mothering.com/recipes/brown-rice-crackers

kimnkell

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
kimnkell said:
FarmerDenise said:
We are hunkering down today. It is raining and we have had a rough week. I decided to make some crackers, that I can eat, from scratch. They turned out very nice and we are having them with some canned sardines.
This will be a good base recipe for me. I love crackers, but I since I have to stay away from refined carbohydrates, sugars and other refined foodstuff, I rarely get to eat any.
Homemade crackers sounds great..Would you mind sharing the recipe with us? I would love to try them. :D
Here is the link to the recipe I used. I will also post it in the recipe section.
http://mothering.com/recipes/brown-rice-crackers
Thanks so much for the recipe. Can't wait to try them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I made pizza for supper :D It was yummy!! Better that take out!

AND I hatched out some babies! So far just these little gals ;) More on the way though!

2291_plants_006.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Wannabefree said:
I need to do the same. Do you stick with raising purebreds to sell or do you also hatch mutts? and do they sell?
We were given an incubator and want to take advantage of it.
We don't need more laying hens for ourselves, but it sure would be nice to have another way of making some $$$. ;)
I have purebred Delaware's but mutts sell too!! Have at it! it is FUN, and addicting. The pullets you don't sell will sell as POL later and the roos, caponize and raise for meat! Either way it is very definately worth it!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I set up the rain barrel today. Attached it to the downspout. We'll see how much rain we get the rest of the year but at least I'll be catching some of what we get instead of losing it all. If this one works well, I'll probably get more for around the property for next winter.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We are catching the rainfall also. It comes off the roof of the dog pen and we just put clean buckets under it. We keep wanting to save the rainwater and store it for emergency drinking water, but we have yet to get containers for that purpose. In the meantime we save what we can in 5 gal buckets cover them with whatever to prevent evaporation and use it to water our seedlings. We believe the seedling grow better, because the rainwater is usually nice and pure, better than our well water.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We walked to a restaurant for dinner instead of driving. :p I thought the restaurant had a kids eat free on Tuesdays but they didn't. Bummer. Food was really good though. Gas is at $4 per gallon now, and the weather is beautiful, so may as well walk as much as possible.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
AnnaRaven said:
I set up the rain barrel today. Attached it to the downspout. We'll see how much rain we get the rest of the year but at least I'll be catching some of what we get instead of losing it all. If this one works well, I'll probably get more for around the property for next winter.
When we lived in Silicon Valley we had, eventually, about 20 30 gal. garbage cans for water. One was under the downspout, with about 5 or 6 attached to it with small pipes - DH drilled an appropriate sized hole up near the top, put the pipe between the two, and did that for as many as would fit along the side of the house. As the first filled it overflowed into the next, etc. And I would periodically go out and bail into other garbage cans. This water kept all our potted plants, and quite a bit of the in ground plantings, watered over the summer.