What did you do to save $ today?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I did a round trip grocery, recycling, and kid pick up. all in one trip :D I met for kid pick up close to the grocery store instead of 13 miles the other direction too. And I milked the goat so I don't have to buy milk this week, and got $35 from the recycler :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Got my catfood for the year done today. At about $1 a pint jar, it saves me enormously since I only feed grain-free food. I shouldn't have to make any more until December, when it is reliably cold again and all gardening and gleaning is done. I canned some broth from the leftover bones, mashed the scraps for the hens, and made a yummy pot of soup with some of the broth.

I got a flyer from TSC and I notice that the corn-based Science Diet (and others) for dogs is on sale for about a buck a pound. Why not just buy a sack of corn, grind it up, make mush, and mix in some cooked down slaughter waste, add a bit of cheap multivitamins, and get similar food for about two bits a pound? :rolleyes: Wait, for twice that I fed my dogs raw chicken backs and the dogs and cats here need very few vet visits....so I saved hundreds the past three days by making catfood for the year and thousands for the year on vet bills for the four house animals. I'm pretty pooped but feeling pretty satisfied by those rows and rows of precious jars.

It is officially nine years since we went to the vet (fifth one) who, rather than put our cat down, got us to make the changes in his diet that meant that he has not seen a vet in....yup, nine years. And wasn't put down!

But boy, am I tired! Sipping some raspberry wine that I made last summer for....27 cents a bottle, the cork was more. :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Nice job Free.
I hope to make sizable amounts of cat and dog food soon. After turkey hunting season ;)

I went to Goodwill and found cloth diapers, flannel sheets and diaper covers. I will use the flannel to line the babyquilt and make fitted diapers for GS. I also got a almost new in the box low heat humidifier and an air mattress that also was still in the box. I forgot how many wool sweaters I got, and an old fashioned washboard.
I plan to use the sweaters to make baby soakers and slippers.
The airmattress is going in my emergency kit.
The washboard is usefull not only for doing laundry, but for making felt. So if I ever get a mess of sheepswool, I will easily be able to make felted articles. I spent a total of $15.
I got other stuff too, but can't remember all of it. It is still sitting in my car :p

We sold Billy our buckling today for the same amount we paid for him. I am sure one of the goats is pregnant, not so sure about the other one.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
Cancelled a short vacation.... :rolleyes:
:hugs Sorry bro :(

I DIDN'T drive 60 miles away for a couple of sheep :D I want sheep, but probably am not ready for them quite yet anyway.

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
sold a pair of quail for $5 so that will save me money until I find something else to feed :/

Latest posts