What did you do to save $ today?

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Nice job Free.
I hope to make sizable amounts of cat and dog food soon. After turkey hunting season ;)

I went to Goodwill and found cloth diapers, flannel sheets and diaper covers. I will use the flannel to line the babyquilt and make fitted diapers for GS. I also got a almost new in the box low heat humidifier and an air mattress that also was still in the box. I forgot how many wool sweaters I got, and an old fashioned washboard.
I plan to use the sweaters to make baby soakers and slippers.
The airmattress is going in my emergency kit.
The washboard is usefull not only for doing laundry, but for making felt. So if I ever get a mess of sheepswool, I will easily be able to make felted articles. I spent a total of $15.
I got other stuff too, but can't remember all of it. It is still sitting in my car :p

We sold Billy our buckling today for the same amount we paid for him. I am sure one of the goats is pregnant, not so sure about the other one.
What is/are baby soakers? :idunno

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank AnnMarie for starting this thread. I think it is one of the most valuable on the entire forum. What a great idea it was. This thread would make a great "self help" book on how to save money by living self sufficiently TODAY.

:thumbsup

Oops! I forgot to say how I saved money. We contacted a person via Freecycle about picking up a freezer full of freezer burnt meat, which I plan to sort and cook for the dogs, cats and chickens to supplement their diet.

Edited to addmy what-did-I-do-to-save thangy.

Laureli

Power Conserver
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
kimnkell said:
Today I am making bread from scratch instead of buying loaf bread from the store. I would like to get back on track again in making all of our bread. Especially after reading about what's in the store bought loaf bread. There is so many things that I can't pronounce it's scary...So many preservatives....
MMMmmmm... there's nothing better than home made bread!! My New Years resolution in 2010 was to make all of our bread. Except for a couple of too-hot-to-bake weeks in the summer, I did it. By my calculations, I saved us about $200 over the year AND I can pronounce all the ingredients!
My breadmachine is great for making bread, but I really can't make sandwiches from it (great toast) because I cannot cut it evenly--number one and number two-- it has a lot of air holes which means it falls apart if I do cut a sandwich size piece per chance. :idunno Therefore, while I do make bread, much of it goes to waste because it falls apart or does not get eaten. Should I freeze it for some sort of bread pudding, croutons or chicken food?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Laureli said:
VickiLynn said:
kimnkell said:
Today I am making bread from scratch instead of buying loaf bread from the store. I would like to get back on track again in making all of our bread. Especially after reading about what's in the store bought loaf bread. There is so many things that I can't pronounce it's scary...So many preservatives....
MMMmmmm... there's nothing better than home made bread!! My New Years resolution in 2010 was to make all of our bread. Except for a couple of too-hot-to-bake weeks in the summer, I did it. By my calculations, I saved us about $200 over the year AND I can pronounce all the ingredients!
My breadmachine is great for making bread, but I really can't make sandwiches from it (great toast) because I cannot cut it evenly--number one and number two-- it has a lot of air holes which means it falls apart if I do cut a sandwich size piece per chance. :idunno Therefore, while I do make bread, much of it goes to waste because it falls apart or does not get eaten. Should I freeze it for some sort of bread pudding, croutons or chicken food?
I can't comment on why your bread falls apart, as I don't have a bread machine, nor do I know the ins and outs of bread made in one, but would like to say that there is always a use for breadcrumbs or pieces. Fresh bread - that is, bread at any stage that is still relatively soft - can be cut in cubes or slices, and used for bread pudding; or it can be whirred in the blender/processor into fat crumbs for topping casseroles and the like. If not using immediately keep them in the freezer to keep them soft. You can also dry the bread cubes in a low oven or dehydrator, and use them for stuffings or even the afore mentioned bread pudding. Hard bread, either because it is stale or because you dried it out on purpose, can also be whirred in the blender for fine crumbs, for coating fried foods - these dried items don't need to be in the freezer, but should be kept airtight in a jar. If you have too much for your own use then the chickens will love the remainder. Bread never gets tossed out in this house; there is always a use for it, if only drying it in preperation for next Thanksgiving's turkey stuffing.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have been renovating a house for months.tearing down walls replacing walls etc.

today i bought 2 sets of brand new in box bifold doors for only 35.00 with the tracks

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you want bread to be easy to slice (and not fall apart) just add some wheat gluten. I add about 3 teaspoons to my bread machine recipe. It makes all the difference- and great sandwich bread!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I clipped about a milliom coupons for this months shopping :th I wound up with 3 papers which meant 5 coupon books :D Hopefully I can pair up the coupons with sale prices and save a bunch of cash :hu

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I drove to a horse ranch and brought home a pickup load of free horse manure for my new front garden. I'm gonna try the lasagna compost method someone suggested here - a layer of manure right on the grass, followed by cardboard, then compost and top soil. Hope it works! :fl

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Laureli said:
FarmerDenise said:
Nice job Free.
I hope to make sizable amounts of cat and dog food soon. After turkey hunting season ;)

I went to Goodwill and found cloth diapers, flannel sheets and diaper covers. I will use the flannel to line the babyquilt and make fitted diapers for GS. I also got a almost new in the box low heat humidifier and an air mattress that also was still in the box. I forgot how many wool sweaters I got, and an old fashioned washboard.
I plan to use the sweaters to make baby soakers and slippers.
The airmattress is going in my emergency kit.
The washboard is usefull not only for doing laundry, but for making felt. So if I ever get a mess of sheepswool, I will easily be able to make felted articles. I spent a total of $15.
I got other stuff too, but can't remember all of it. It is still sitting in my car :p

We sold Billy our buckling today for the same amount we paid for him. I am sure one of the goats is pregnant, not so sure about the other one.
What is/are baby soakers? :idunno
baby soakers are the little pants type things that go over top of the baby's cloth diaper. They help wick the moisture away from baby's tender skin and at the same time help keep everything else from getting wet.;)