What did you do to save $ today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We've been eating leftovers since Easter. Easter dinner, leftover fried chicken and stuff from a lunch&learn, soups made out of leftover Easter dinner.

I'm getting :sick of leftovers, but they ARE cheap and easy.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
tortoise said:
We've been eating leftovers since Easter. Easter dinner, leftover fried chicken and stuff from a lunch&learn, soups made out of leftover Easter dinner.

I'm getting :sick of leftovers, but they ARE cheap and easy.
We're still working on a ham from BEFORE Easter :lol: Ham and beans, ham and beans, ham and beans :th That's what finally broke me down and had me making homemade pizza yesterday ;)

I have made more laundry soap today. Some is sold or I probably would not have had to make more.

I will be making our bread today too for the week and possibly another pizza for supper. DH is sick of ham :lol: We did get turnip greens from the garden to go with the beans and ham for lunch though so free food there too! :D

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I didn't have time to make my bread today. But, we got sandwiches last night, and I only ate half of mine. So tomorrow, I'll take the rest for lunch.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
saved $87 at grocery store using coupons
bill was $197---I paid $110

so I think I did OK LOL

but I want to SAVE MORE AND MORE! :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
saved $87 at grocery store using coupons
bill was $197---I paid $110

so I think I did OK LOL

but I want to SAVE MORE AND MORE! :)
I went shopping for FREE today! :woot I didn't really get much. 3 deodorants, 4 body wash, 2 packs of soap, 2 packs of razors and a couple bottles of shampoo. But all FREE with my coupons!! I did get a few other items at another store so wound up spending $20, but I had coupons and got most of those items for half off :D

I was bored, so got out of the house a while and shopped.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I can't seem to get stuff free at grocery stores, even with coupons. I consider myself lucky if I ger 1/4 of my total purchase price off.
I did find out that I get the senior discount at one of our stores, if I remember to tell them. It is only 10 %, but every little bit helps.

I pulled and cut 3 large tubs of weeds today. One went to the goats and two went to the chickens. The ones for the chickens also had lots of bugs and snails in them. I have been going snail hunting on a regular basis. The chickens love it and I save on feed. They are in the chicken yard now, so I have to supplement their feed somehow. We got our sweet corn planted and it is up, so are our pole beans.

I try to make something from scratch every day. I don't actually manage to do that, but it sure makes our lives nicer when I do. Today I am just too tired and sore by now. I don't even have energy left to fix dinner.
Good thing we have hard boiled eggs and boiled potatoes in the fridge. Unfortunately we are out of mayonaise and SO does not like homemade :( Or I would make potato salad.
We have some other leftovers also. I am sure we'll figure something out.

I made ice tea for us to drink.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hold onto BOGO free coupons until a local store has a BOGO free sale, then BOTH items are FREE!

If the coupon says "any" as in any size, shop the travel section for the 99 cent items and use a dollar off coupon to get those free.

Buy the smallest package with the biggest value coupon first. You'll save a higer percentage of the costs. I gave 30 cents for mustard last night 8 oz. bottle $1 off...it said ANY size! The other bottle would have been a better deal, but I had two coupons and got 2 for that price, so saved more in the long run.

I buy 2-3 sometimes 4 papers and you can print coupons online, though I never have.

I'm cheap :hu

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Hold onto BOGO free coupons until a local store has a BOGO free sale, then BOTH items are FREE!

If the coupon says "any" as in any size, shop the travel section for the 99 cent items and use a dollar off coupon to get those free.

Buy the smallest package with the biggest value coupon first. You'll save a higer percentage of the costs. I gave 30 cents for mustard last night 8 oz. bottle $1 off...it said ANY size! The other bottle would have been a better deal, but I had two coupons and got 2 for that price, so saved more in the long run.

I buy 2-3 sometimes 4 papers and you can print coupons online, though I never have.

Thanks for all those tips. I used to go on double coupon days and do pretty well, but then the stores around here stopped having those :/

We don't get any paper, but I have asked my neighbors, if I could have their coupons and to if I could have the sale flyers, so I can see which store has what on sale.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
Wannabefree said:

Thanks for all those tips. I used to go on double coupon days and do pretty well, but then the stores around here stopped having those :/

We don't get any paper, but I have asked my neighbors, if I could have their coupons and to if I could have the sale flyers, so I can see which store has what on sale.
Double coupon days are pretty much a thing of the past I think. BUT, Walgreens has in store coupons, then you have manufacturer coupons, and if they are different, you can often use both of them. I use a Walgreens coupon with a mfg coupon on the same product ALL the time now. Some of those items wind up free or better, and plus a lot of them have Register Rewards attached to them at Walgreens. Wish we had a CVS here, I'd clean up!

I donate a lot of the freebies I get that we won't use. Our church gives care packages to the elderly in the local nursing homes...they go crazy over body washes and deodorants and stuff! Sweet old folks! :love Some of them have been forgotten by their families and just left to fend for themselves with whatever they can get :rant I love getting free items to pass onto those who can't shop for themselves!!!! It is a blessing :)

ETA: Walgreens has a free coupon booklet at the front of the store with their ad papers every beginning of the month! you better hurry if ya want one though. Today is the 3rd! I just got mine, LOTS of good coupons!!!