What did you do to save $ today?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I got lucky at the nearest thrift shop today. They had a bag sale going on. :ya

1 pair of shoes
3 pairs of pants (1 pair is lined with flannel )
2 winter tops
3 summer tops
1 summer skirt
1 summer dress
and a pasta server thingy.

For $ 3.70 total. Gotta love that store.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, Dragonlaurel, good shopping!

This may be an obvious thing to everyone else, but I felt pretty smart about doing it.

I have 2 sets of cotton sheets for my bed. After about 10-15 year of use, the fitted sheet of one set wore right through and had a big hole. Within a week or two, the second set had the same problem. And both holes were on dh's side...hmmm... :p

Anyway, I noticed the flat (top) sheet and the pillowcases were just fine. I couldn't see buying an entire new set of sheets just to replace one piece. I found out that in a few stores -Target and discount linens stores especially, you can buy just one sheet, not the whole set.

Colors are limited for individual fitted sheets, so it's easier to find a matching sheet if you just use white or cream, though mixing colors could look nice too.

The worn out sheets we kept in the garage to throw over our citrus trees in case of frost.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
This a little one. I found a place to buy my brand of dog food that is about 20 minutes away instead of 1 hour. I can train my dogs their too, FOR FREE, rather than driving an hour to pay to use equipment. I'm excited about that!

I was happy to see that this past month's electic bill was less than the past 2 years. And this year there are 2 extra people over last year. Plus it is on one of those plans where electricity is 4x more during the day - and I'm home all day cooking and such! It put a smile on my face to know that my son and I aren't raising the cost of utilities here.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sure this is old hat for most of you but for me it is new good news!

I never had time to bake bread. Work was too demanding and exhausting... but that is now over.

When we moved into our loft space at Christmas I started baking in my tiny balck and decker convection oven. Every third day I make two loves of an easy to make and bake recipe. I figure that I am now saving $6 a week on the bread expense, costing maybe 70 cents for each loaf I bake!

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Through absolute necessity I found that I could empty my used paper vacuum bag and reuse it instead of buying a new package of them. I also found that I could do this many times before it fell apart! Wish I knew this years ago.
Be cheaply gone, you dust bunnies! :bun

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
MIL is fixing up a rental she owns and asked us if we wanted anything, since she wants everything cleaned out. We had spotted some gates and chickenwire. So we went up there today and got 4 sturdy metal gates and one wooden gate with woven wire fencing, some poles and 2x4's, ax handles and a small piece of chicken wire.
We plan on going back up and scrounging for more stuff tomorrw. There are tomato cages, large pots, outdoor furniture and firewood. We just couldn't fit it all in the truck today.

Good thing I brought my fuchsia colored jacket. On of the gates hung about 4 feet off the back of the truck. We tied my fuchsia jacket on the end of it as a red flag :lol:

ETA added picture

1599_100_7962.jpg

Any one have an idea what the value would be on those metal gates, there are 4 metal gates. Two with the round poles and two are really long. We might be able to use one to stop people from going to far into our driveway.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
MIL is fixing up a rental she owns and asked us if we wanted anything, since she wants everything cleaned out. We had spotted some gates and chickenwire. So we went up there today and got 4 sturdy metal gates and one wooden gate with woven wire fencing, some poles and 2x4's, ax handles and a small piece of chicken wire.
We plan on going back up and scrounging for more stuff tomorrw. There are tomato cages, large pots, outdoor furniture and firewood. We just couldn't fit it all in the truck today.

Good thing I brought my fuchsia colored jacket. On of the gates hung about 4 feet off the back of the truck. We tied my fuchsia jacket on the end of it as a red flag :lol:
You Scored!!!! :ya

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I cut down all plastic bottles or containers, punch holes in the bottom and use as plant pots, for starting seeds, or cuttings.

The tops cut off drinks bottles can also be used for mini cloches on seeds sown straight into the ground.

All my t shirts for working around the animals, land and house are bought from thrift shops, I think most of the stuff comes from the USA, thanks guys. When they are well worn I tear them up and use as cleaning rags.

When I first got all my animals, goats and chicks, I went out and bought feeders for them.

For the goats, I now use cut down gallon containers, they only get a small quantity of grain and are ideal.