What did you do to save $ today?

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kimlove2 said:
Laureli said:
FarmerDenise said:
Nice job Free.
I hope to make sizable amounts of cat and dog food soon. After turkey hunting season ;)

I went to Goodwill and found cloth diapers, flannel sheets and diaper covers. I will use the flannel to line the babyquilt and make fitted diapers for GS. I also got a almost new in the box low heat humidifier and an air mattress that also was still in the box. I forgot how many wool sweaters I got, and an old fashioned washboard.
I plan to use the sweaters to make baby soakers and slippers.
The airmattress is going in my emergency kit.
The washboard is usefull not only for doing laundry, but for making felt. So if I ever get a mess of sheepswool, I will easily be able to make felted articles. I spent a total of $15.
I got other stuff too, but can't remember all of it. It is still sitting in my car :p

We sold Billy our buckling today for the same amount we paid for him. I am sure one of the goats is pregnant, not so sure about the other one.
What is/are baby soakers? :idunno
baby soakers are the little pants type things that go over top of the baby's cloth diaper. They help wick the moisture away from baby's tender skin and at the same time help keep everything else from getting wet.;)
Oh - we just used to call those diaper wraps.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
Called around to the local orchards to see if they had any apples left. Found one that is going to sell me bushels of apples for $12 (I am going to offer $10 when I get there as I plan to buy 3-4 bushels). I will soon have shelves full of pure applesauce goodness for a fraction of what it would cost me from the store....and the only thing in it is apples - not a bunch of other additives!
Well, we got our apples this weekend. I never even had to make an offer, the more the orchard owner talked to us the lower the price got. He had told us $12 a bushel over the phone, when we got there he said $10 per bushel, when I told him I wanted at least two, he told me he would give me all the apples he had left for $25. I ended with just shy of 4 bushels for $25. We will have to do a little trimming, but that okay!

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well today we are tradeing in our dial-up inter net and reg.phone that cost 72 per month for DSL and Digital phone for 40 per month:celebrate

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Local wal-mart had all their berry bushes on sale today -- %50 off. So what would have cost me $50, only cost me $25 and hopefully next summer I'll be up to my ears in raspberries, blueberries and blackberries...meaning further savings!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Got a fancy-schmancy book with recipes and lovely pictures on serving the cheese course. Although I probably won't use the exact recipes in the book, I will certainly be offering some very snooty deserts to company soon by artfully arranging my goat cheeses with a bit of this and that. Cute book.

Got a nice cardigan, a lovely lamb's wool and angora sweater, and a paisley printed tee for work. And a paperback novel. My entire bill was $12. Retail: Probably $175-200 or so. Hee-hee! All looked new.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got a pickup full of horse manure free. Spread it in the new bed I'm making. Bought the topsoil and planting mix and mulch on sale at the local nursery - where I got to store points so my next purchase (lots of plants for my new veggie bed) will be 10% off.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I discovered my chickens love to eat freezer burnt ground bison that Hubby picked up through Freecycle. We have a giant freezer full of meats for the dogs and chickens that I have just begun to thaw and prepare for them. But the ground bison was an enormous hit! I hope the protein picks up my egg production, free!

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today, I used manufacturer coupons on top of a store special to get 2 tubes of neosporin and two boxes of assorted bandaids, saving around 40% on the whole deal.

And I got a bunch of veggies planted in my front garden.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Went by the post office to mail taxes. Muttering and grumbling about trashy people as I picked up some litter. Flipped it over and realized it was 2 printed stamps! Not enough to cover the taxes but enough to mail two more bills :rolleyes: