What did you do to save $ today?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I stayed home today. :D Trying my hardest no to go to any store at all. This is the best way for me to save money. It seems I always find a "good deal" or something on sale. Then spend more than I planned. Not today. :woot

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Went to the library today while debating whether or not to let my son buy at the scholastic book fair. We don't keep books at home, I don't buy books. I don't have anywhere to put books. We go to the library often. But I remember my parents wouldn't let us get books from scholastic and I felt very left-out. No decision yet, I'm not looking at the flyer until I decide. I probably save $15 already! :lol:
Not buying books. Waiting on making a decision saved money and clutter. :)

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went to the library today. Got several books I've been meaning to read.

Also went to Safeway and found chicken at $.89 a pound. Grabbed three and tossed them in the freezer for later. I've been using the "envelope method" this month and so far, I've made it through almost half the month and still haven't gone over the half-month's cash I took out. And I even stocked up on some stuff! I think this is going to work for me.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Emerald said:
moxies_chickennuggets said:
Currently making bed pillowcases out of some extra flat sheets I have. We use 5 pillows on the bed...and always coming up short. I also buy my sheets at the thrift stores. Shocking what people will throw away.
I know that you probably already know but make sure you roll those cut edges under a couple times or use a surger.. sheets tend to unravel something fierce!;)
Yep. I have my trusty serger. I am a professional seamstress..and have been sewing over 45 years. Gramma taught me to sew, to keep me out of trouble I think. She retired from Nelly Don in Kansas City MO, back in the 50's. I grew up making french seams and putting in hidden zippers...and all the other things that were fun to do.
Finishing seams and edges is an often neglected thing. But, learning to sew is not done as much any more.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The farmer that rents our cropland just harvested the corn from one field. DS and I went out after he was finished and picked the cobs off all the stalks that were run down by the machinery when turning the corners. We got a wheelbarrow-full for the chickens this winter. There are still three more fields to be harvested.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just sold 2 bar stools on craigslist. I got money - but I'm trying to forget I sold them for less than I paid for them. Of course I've had them for about 4 years and never used them, so I do have some free space in my dining room now.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Currently making bed pillowcases out of some extra flat sheets I have. We use 5 pillows on the bed...and always coming up short. I also buy my sheets at the thrift stores. Shocking what people will throw away.
I know that you probably already know but make sure you roll those cut edges under a couple times or use a surger.. sheets tend to unravel something fierce!;)
Yep. I have my trusty serger. I am a professional seamstress..and have been sewing over 45 years. Gramma taught me to sew, to keep me out of trouble I think. She retired from Nelly Don in Kansas City MO, back in the 50's. I grew up making french seams and putting in hidden zippers...and all the other things that were fun to do.
Finishing seams and edges is an often neglected thing. But, learning to sew is not done as much any more.
I sew but not fancy, and learned when I was young.. I've been helping at the high school with the drama club to make and alter costumes.
I was so shocked that most do not even know the difference between needles and pins.
I got a good deal on nice flannel one year (.75 a yard) and while the patterns were not the nicest I made tons of extra pillow cases and we just love them... The only person who it bothered was my Mom and since she doesn't live here it was not a biggy.. I told her to just flip the covers over the pillows in my room while we were trying on clothes.. lol then she didn't' see them! :lol:

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Emerald said:
I sew but not fancy, and learned when I was young.. I've been helping at the high school with the drama club to make and alter costumes.
I was so shocked that most do not even know the difference between needles and pins.
I got a good deal on nice flannel one year (.75 a yard) and while the patterns were not the nicest I made tons of extra pillow cases and we just love them... The only person who it bothered was my Mom and since she doesn't live here it was not a biggy.. I told her to just flip the covers over the pillows in my room while we were trying on clothes.. lol then she didn't' see them! :lol:
Hi Emerald! Nice to make acquaintance with another seamstress. Not many of us left. I used to just buy the extra pillowcases at the thrift store...but, every time I move..I lose a good supply. Now, I am way out past Columbia SC, and there is nothing good out here. So..I'm making my own.
I remember when I was just little, like 7 or 8...one of my classmates had on a dress she said her mother had made for her. It was all sewn in zig-zag stitching, and I couldn't understand why. By then, I was already making my own clothes and stuffed animals. I remember even trying to make my own pattern for a pair of pants once. But, I was the Black Sheep...and we lived in Midtown. Mom and Grandma had to come up with some way to keep me safe and occupied. So Grandma taught me everything she could. We had several sewing machines back then. A Singer treadle, moms Kenmore 50's version, Grandmas Pfaff, and some others I don't remember. I loved to play with the attachments and cams...the ruffler, the button holer, all of the feet, and the cams on moms Kenmore. I could do all sorts of fancy things by the time I was in 3rd grade.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I went to an excellent play with friends with free tickets from a coworker! In thanks for the tickets and me driving us all, my friends paid for my wonderful lunch out afterwards. :)

DH stayed home butchering 40 chickens and saved us the $2.75/bird it would have cost us to have it done elsewhere. I had a HUGE guilt trip having a fun day while he had a miserable one, but I'd already made the plans when he decided to butcher on a rainy day...

The kids packed lunches, as usual. I packed supper for work, as usual.

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, today I went straight from work on my way home and hit the different grocery stores along the way, having matched up coupons to the ads, compared ads, etc. Then I swung over to TSC since I knew I was running out of dog food and the whole goal of going to the stores on my way home was so that I could avoid having to make a trip into town over the weekend (or multiple trips). While there I checked the clearance area and found a horse blanket to fit my 19 year old problem child gelding for $39.99!!!!!! :weee The last blanket that I bought him (that now looks like it has gone through countless wars) was $169.00. I also may have found hay for only $85 a bale instead of the usual $125-150 a round bale that is the going price right now for horse hay. It actually comes with a contract that you're not a hay broker, that you own horses (you have to prove that you own them), etc.