What did you do to save $ today?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I offered to babysit a dog for a friend while they went to Hawaii. I love the dog, love the friend. I didn't ask for money. But when they left, she slipped 80 bucks into my pocket!
That will come in handy! And it was so fun taking care of her dog, I didn't mind one bit. I kinda wished he didn't have to leave.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We took 6 bushels of greens to market today, along with a big bunch of radishes and some of the last of the green beans. Our guest chef bought some radishes, kale and spinach and cooked up the yummiest treat with ham. Everyone who tasted it came back to our booth and bought all the radishes and all the greens. We made more than we ever have for fall veggies. I got a really good deal on some sweet potatoes and was given a jar of sweet banana pepper mustard. She had samples and it was simply scrumptious.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We cut firewood that we got free. Not a whole lot, about half a cord, but it will be used. We were also given 10 bales of straw from the farmer who owns the fields next to us. We let him get water from our well when ever he needs it, and let him park equipment here for a few days. Great relationship!

cabinchick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow Went on a day trip to British Columbia and back. I actually packed sack lunches, snacks and drinks for three people. We don't usually do this, but I figured we probably saved at least $40.00 - including the cost of making and buying the items we brought with us. In additional, we found a beautiful place to picnic with a fantastic view of the Selkirk Mountain range. Much better than eating at a restaurant any day :clap

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made no-sew roman shades, using a mini-blind. The blind cost $3 and the fabric cost $4. The only other thing I needed was fabric glue, and I had that on hand.

I used instructions I found here:
http://heidi-heartandhome.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-roman-shades-from-mini.html

Here's how mine turned out:
1708_004_medium.jpg

1708_002_medium.jpg

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those look beautiful, what a super idea!

I could totally do this in my girl's rooms with fabric I have hanging around--they already have mini-blinds but they always complain that they let in too much light so we also have curtains in front.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went shopping in my freezer and did the great frozen tundra dig. Yeah, found a bunch of hamburger that we had gotten that I forgot about. Not old, just buried for a couple of months. So, even though hamburger is on sale this week, found enough to justify not going to the store, except for milk this week. If I put the dehydrator away, I'd even be able to get the bread machine out, but I still need the dehydrator. So, saved $40 on hamburger and whatever else I wouldn't buy this week.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made ham and bean soup with hocks from my freezer and beans leftover from work.

Re-purposed stakes and fencing to build an impromptu run for my hens (we have had a huge, nasty hawk stalking them and we don't have the time or $$ to build a proper run yet)

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Put a sheet of metal roofing to use covering up a walkway to the chicken coop. I found the roofing at the dump, along with the studs, so the only thing I bought were the handful of nails and screws. They were all purchased months and years ago, so it didn't cost me a thing today! Also picked up a large co-op order, which saved us several hundred dollars over going to the store to buy the items.