Wood Stove Project

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A double-insulated setup should be fine as long as the coals are on firebrick or refractory cement. If there's adequate circulation of air outside of the 30-gal combustion chamber, the metal shouldn't get hot enough to warp. This may take significant air flow. Do you have a multi-speed fan?

Also, consider putting in a baffle to increase the amount of the wood gases that are re-circulated and burned.

windyoak

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just came across this thread. Its a bit late, but what the heck! I am interested in making my own wood burning heater/stove. The one in this picture is one I made from an old propane tank. I lined the bottom of it with an adobe/cement mixture, and it has lasted me two years, so far, and it shows no sign of wear. The metal is thicker than an oil drum. When I get the chance, I would like to make another propane tank heater that is loaded from the side (instead of the end) with the flue exiting the other side. But my ultimate, fancy, project would be a wood burner made from cut slabs of stone bound together with a welded iron frame something like those that are advertised in Mother Earth.

Sorry about the picture ... how do you add a picture to your posts?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
windyoak said:
Sorry about the picture ... how do you add a picture to your posts?
I just sent you a PM that tells you how to do a pic upload here.

I look forward to seeing a pic (or several) showing what you've made.

windyoak

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, Joel_BC - lets see if I can do this:

5570_pig_-_vent.jpg

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love everyone's ideas for forced air. I use a wood stove to heat my home (our only heat) and if hard pressed I know I could cook on it but it's not much of a heater, but it's better than no heat, lol.