Wood stoves

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I tried searches but couldnt find the answer :D

I am without an oven, I have a convection oven but it makes me light headed when I run it for baking or cooking. So I was thinking about some sort of wood stoves to put on my covered patio.

How do you acquire one? How do you use it? What are the pros and cons?

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had woodstoves in our house when I was a kid. I *love* them, the sight, the smell, everything!

They are absolutely tops for frying up breakfast, there is nothing better for cooking hashbrowns.

Another alternative if you want it for out on the patio, BigBrownHorse made a rocket stove awhile back and she said it was great.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
you can get lucky and find some on craigslist DIRT CHEAP check there first

cmjust0

Power Conserver
Reaction score
There's a difference between a woodstove, and a wood cook stove. A wood stove -- excuse me, some wood stoves have ample space on top to use pots and pans, which would amount to the cooktop part of a modern stove/range/oven/whatever you call it in your neck of the woods.

But that's about it.

And some barely provide that, depending on how they're made.

Ol' timey wood cook stoves are hard to find, and may or may not be fit for use. New wood cook stoves made to look like ol' timey wood cook stoves aren't hard to find new, and they work, but they're spendy. New wood cook stoves that are modern in design -- the Jotul 404 comes to mind -- are next to impossible to find, AND they're spendy.

There's also the fact that, if you get one, you may have to install a chimney to go with it. I installed the chimney (6" triple-wall class-A stainless) for my woodstove by myself, and it was upward of $500 just to buy the parts. That particular type of chimney -- which is all I'd own, personally -- is like $3/inch. No joke. A 3' section was around $100. Plus there's the roof flashing, the ceiling box, the chimney cap, blah blah blah...oh, and sweeping supplies like brushes, rods, etc.

Little did I know all that when I bought the actual stove itself, which was more or less on a whim because it was clearanced for 50% off at Lowe's...in February. They gotta make room for the patio furniture, I guess! :lol: Got the stove for $225, brand new. Same stove is sticker priced at like $600 now, and it's only been a few years since I bought mine.

:thumbsup

Having said all that, our stove -- and all the crap that came along with it -- was WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT.

But it still ain't worth a dang for cooking.. :/

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
MsPony said:
I am without an oven, I have a convection oven but it makes me light headed when I run it for baking or cooking.
I just gotta ask - how does this make you light headed?

A heavy cast dutch oven on a $89 propane grill would be the cheapest and easiest solution. Charcoal is not cheap or quick but only costs $25 for one if you can't swing propane.

A wood stove is a learned art to use effectively, you need plenty of 2 year season wood, kindling, and patients as it can take hours to burn down to a usable bed of coals.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I say hit up CL and get a kitchen range/oven. Much cheaper. Stick it on your patio.

just my .02

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Xpc, I think its because its in a kitchen, that is essentially a hallway w/ one end being a wall, and its in the very corner of it. Its actually illegally there, my grandfather cut the spots for the stove and convection microwave AFTER inspection, lol.

Now, for that dutch oven, how does it work again??

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
MsPony said:
Xpc, I think its because its in a kitchen, that is essentially a hallway w/ one end being a wall, and its in the very corner of it. Its actually illegally there, my grandfather cut the spots for the stove and convection microwave AFTER inspection, lol.
I know of no codes that would make that "illegal" which is a misnomer as you will unlikely ever be arrested for it, a code violation is the accepted term. As long as something met the code the year it was installed it will always be "legal" also ironically known as the grandfather clause.

A convection oven is just a conventional oven with a fan to move the heat around more evenly, I'm still perplexed on why it would make you dizzy? Oh and by the way new code usually doesn't allow an oven to be mounted as the first object when entering a kitchen, if the door were left open someone could run into it and burn themselves.

Now, for that dutch oven, how does it work again??
Though there are many meanings the general consensus would be just a large cast iron pot with a heavy lid, some with a wire hanging bail for use over an open fire. The heavy iron helps regulate the heat to stay at a constant temperature. When camping we would make them out of stacked rocks into a house shape covered by green branches and a layer of more rocks, we would bake bread in it.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Convection microwave? Whatever it is. And thats what I meant, code violation :p Its late, I had a long day at work and have a long day tomorrow, should probably be in bed, but oh well.

This is my "kitchen" (which is EXTREMELY messy, do not judge!) I think it wasnt up to code (?right?) because it was a fire hazard, back in '95. The person who would really know would be the grandfather, except hes been dead for over a year. There are a LOT of mysteries about this house that we want to know...such as why NONE of the top outlets work? Oy. All the heat stays in that corner, and it attracts heat/smell too. My fiance and his brother were smoking clear across the way, and I was getting the smoke in that corner.
2hf59xw.jpg

PS: Most unfriendly SS making kitchen in the world. I have 0 space.