“Women Are Teachable” Booklet From 1940s

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My dtr who is a manager definitely makes less than a male manager in the same company, same wage tier, doing the same job, with the same amount of experience. There have been numerous lawsuits aimed at Walmart for sex discrimination in the pay scale. And, I'll leave it at that.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We made the decision many years ago to have me stay at home instead of working. Our son (who has moderate-to-severe Asperger's) did much better as a result. We didn't have as much money, but the lack of day care expenses and my ability to cook all our meals from scratch went a long way toward mitigating that. The other thing we did was stop buying every toy and geegaw that came along. If people would step back and really look at what they are paying money for, they would be appalled at the waste. I mean, come on! almost $100 a month for the priviledge of cable or dish tv? Why? If you both work, it isn't even on for 2/3 of your day (work + sleep)... and that's just one item.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Agreed, People rarely step back and assess how they are spending their money, and take the time to determine if the purchase is a need, or a want. Then... there is the assessment re: is there a less costly way to achieve the goal? Before hubby and I were even married, we were saving for our future. After we married, we lived on one income, banking the second one. We only owned one car, with hubby often walking or biking to work. We paid cash for our land, built our house. After kids were born, I did not work for 5 years, then... only part time, working 3 - 11 shift so that the kids were only at a baby sitter for 8 hours/week. There were plenty of sacrifices: cloth diapers (most of them home made), only rarely did we eat out. Dates were a picnic in the park or a trip to the library, a drive to a local lake or the ocean. I would cut down an old pair of jeans to make overalls for the kids... sewed all their and most of my clothes. I would not change a thing. When I look at the frantic lives lived by many of my peers, and the younger generations, I can't begin to wrap my head around the amount of stress that such a life style must entail.

Latest posts