$10 Challenge

woodwzrd

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also found that champagne yeast works the best for making homemade soda if your not a wine drinker.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
We get it at a local home brew shop, but you can also order it online.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
12.5 lbs sugar: $6.38
3 oz ginger: $0.60
5 lemons: $2.00
champagne yeast: $1.00

Total: $9.98

Equals: 26 or so bottles of beet or carrot wine, veggies from garden. No suffering here! :D Bet I could trade for 'most anything I wanted, if I wanted to trade!
Im hooking up with you. :love

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Went to Sam's club and got 16 oz size containers of:
parsley - 3.38
granulated garlic - 4.38

Also got cumin - 5.78
and yellow mustard - 4.48

OK, that's slightly over 10.00 for the second group :p

I'm not gonna tell you about the stuff I didn't need that I bought anyway :lol:

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's possible to home can potatoes? I didn't know that. How do you do it?

Sorry to be stupid, but I'm new at this. Is it possible to home can your own homemade soup, chili and spaghetti sauce? or maybe beef stew or gumbo?

the funny farm6615 said:
i just bought 50# of potatos at the local amish store for $6.29 and i think i am going back to get 2 more to can.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I just canned cream of mushroom soup, after moushrooms were on for real cheap. From recipe I got on this forum. It is a mix, --when you go to use it, you mix the can with equal amount of milk and heat. You can can your own soups and stuff--but you need a pressure canner.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The_Realistic_Optimist said:
It's possible to home can potatoes? I didn't know that. How do you do it?

Sorry to be stupid, but I'm new at this. Is it possible to home can your own homemade soup, chili and spaghetti sauce? or maybe beef stew or gumbo?

the funny farm6615 said:
i just bought 50# of potatos at the local amish store for $6.29 and i think i am going back to get 2 more to can.
Ldychef canned a lot of potatoes. Many of us can soups, stews, chili, baked beans, spaghetti and pizza sauce, etc, for quick yet homemade meals. You need to pressure can a lot of these items, though.

The homemade cream of mushroom soup is amazing. I always have it on hand now. If you start with a base of strong chicken bone broth, traditionally made, it is AWESOME.

Can't help you with the potatoes. If you can root cellar them, you don't need to can them. If you are in a hot climate and have no cool cellar, canning and drying are the best options.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to the snooty veggie store bought a ton of onions for storage at 15 cents per lb. Which I thought was a great deal. I spent about 5 bucks.

I bought some back up coconut oil. 32oz organic cold pressed. It was on sale 30 percent off. I think I paid just over 15 bucks for it. Not 10 bucks but a great deal.

One good thing added to storage.

:woot

I canned potatoes when they were really cheap. They turned out salty and I am thinking of feeding them to the animals. I wish I would have just stored them.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like the $10 meal contest!!

$1.99 lb chicken 1 lb
1.00 can cream of mushroom soup
2.50 lg can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup milk (cost??)
a heart dash of Worcester (again cost??)

2 cups of rice ( at about 3.00 a bag I am guessing that it runs about .50 to .75 for 2 cups)

Put chopped chicken in casserole dish mix in soups seasoning and milk cook for 50 minutes at 350.

Add aside of fresh steam broccolli at 1.50 a bunch.

Viola great dinner for 4 for less than $10!

I would love more of these!!