10 Simultaneous "Plagues"

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If I hear the consensus so far, most everything I mentioned above is caused by humans? Is that right?

Last edited:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment that we seem to have more "plagues" than usual. I feel like it's a culmination of many different factors.

I can tell you from my experience that the climate is changing. I am not that old, and I remember things were different as a kid in 2004. They're different than when I started homesteading in 2009. Primarily, it's all weather. I haven't had a normal growing season in five years or longer. It's been rain, rain, and more rain for the last few years. We haven't had a normal winter in that time either. The last big snow we got was in 2015.

I think all of this is more of a cycle of events with significant pressure applied by humanity's greed, selfishness, and depravity.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
some humans.

if you study up on ants you'll find that almost every large scale social activity of humans is duplicated in their behaviors. they have wars, they have agriculture, they farm, they herd, ...

the diseases of mankind, many are now coming from too close of contact with animals, living with a pig eating human waste under the house is just not a great idea...

this idea though that we can destroy the environment and not pay a price for it, well you can see how that's going. not necessarily man doing it entirely, just setting up the conditions and then seeing how natural calamities can make it far worse than it would have been otherwise.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i didn't have time this morning to really read through it all, but let me talk about this one now that i do have a few more moments:

"#1 Cancer - raise your hand if someone you know has not died from cancer. What no one raised their hands?"

in ancient times, you died from diseases as a child and a fair number of women died from complications of childbirth.

those who didn't die young may later die from wounds that got infected or consequences of injuries that then went septic.

still if you lived to be sixty i think that was a pretty old age.

if you go back further, you could have been chased down by sabre toothed tigers or other wild animals still big and mean enough to be an actual challenge.

as to cancer in specific, if you didn't live that long you probably didn't die of cancer because you died of other things first.

now they are coming up with new therapies and treatments. we had one friend who had breast cancer three times and lived until she was nearly 90. we have various friends now who are still alive only because of advanced medicine. i am alive only because they had an incubator at the hospital where i was born. if i had been born a few years earlier i don't think i'd have survived (i weighed 2lbs6oz when i was born and was sick and got below 2lbs before i finally fought it off and came around - i do consider every day here on this earth that i have as a gift).

right now i have two of the four of my siblings because of the medical arts and modern science, but that doesn't necessarily mean things have gotten better because some of the illnesses are due to injuries or lifesyles that weren't prevalent in hunters and gatherers.

so you can in some cases say we've been trading one thing for another.

time and science will march on, we'll learn more, some things will get better as we have more understanding, but surely we do need to take better care of the world around us now.

if you have a night light outside or any lights which are attracing insects at night. put them on a timer that is motion activated so they will turn off. the night sky will also appreciate it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I tend to believe that it is hubris on our part to think that humans have changed the world's climate. Do you really think you have the power to destroy God's Creation? The earth seems to have a way of resetting things when it gets too out of wack. Usually it means a lot of discomfort, sometimes even the extinction of several species. Ours may be next.
I believe it is changing, but I believe we are arrogant to think we can be the sole source of its change or that our efforts will lead to the Earth's destruction.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I propose that if anyone is interested there's information available for them to research.
I agree with your assessment that we seem to have more "plagues" than usual. I feel like it's a culmination of many different factors.

I can tell you from my experience that the climate is changing. I am not that old, and I remember things were different as a kid in 2004. They're different than when I started homesteading in 2009. Primarily, it's all weather. I haven't had a normal growing season in five years or longer. It's been rain, rain, and more rain for the last few years. We haven't had a normal winter in that time either. The last big snow we got was in 2015.

I think all of this is more of a cycle of events with significant pressure applied by humanity's greed, selfishness, and depravity.

Gardening has been very hard the last few years. I hill up high and furrow deep to a main furrow that exits the garden and flows down hill to the creek. It's really required to drain off excess water from the garden.