10 Simultaneous "Plagues"

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not an alarmest but I do like to know what's going on around me. I also like to post things about health / environment that I feel are important to us all.

I've been holding back here lately, only because there is so much to post about, I can't keep up. The best I can tell there are at least 10 "plagues" that are effecting planet earth simultaneously. I say "plagues" in quotes because, being a God fearing man I don't know what other term to use that fits the bill.

#1 Cancer - raise your hand if someone you know has not died from cancer. What no one raised their hands?

#2 Armies Of Locusts - developed in Africa ravaged millions of acres of crops across Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia, crossed the Sea and is eating away at China now. So massive is the army that they devour entire fields of crops in as little as 30 seconds.

#3 Extremely Bizarre Weather Patterns - I like to joke around about Al Gore and his global warming. But I don't think I need to say anything further about the weather patterns, we all are experiencing "something" unusually different than what we remember as youths.

#4 Unprecedented Flooding - We are seeing unusual flooding all over the world, and as of late the southern US has been impacted also.

#5 Major Earthquakes - Really big earthquakes are happening with such frequency now that it is very difficult for me to keep track of them all.

#6 Unusual Volcanic Eruptions - Seismic activity has been rising all over the globe, and over the past couple of months we have seen volcanoes all over the world pop off as common as dynomite in a rock quary.

#7 Coronavirus - The numbers continue to rise, and many are speculating that this could potentially become the worst global pandemic since the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918. I hope they are wrong though.

#8 African Swine Fever - “Pig Ebola” has already wiped out millions upon millions of pigs in China, and it has now spread to more than 40 other countries.

#9 The H1N1 Swine Flu – Unlike the African Swine Fever, the H1N1 Swine Flu can actually harm humans. I've read it's already caused more human mortalities outside of China than the coronavirus has. I also hope this is wrong, it's so hard to trust what you read on the internet.

#10 H5N1 Bird Flu – This strain of the bird flu caused a massive global scare a number of years ago, and they are now predicting a resurgence. China has had to kill thousands of chickens so far, and experts are warning that this outbreak could be just getting started. Again I hope the experts are wrong.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm not buying it for a second.

#1 is something we (at a level of the US population) bring upon ourselves, a disease of civilization
#2 the current locust swarm was caused by unusual weather patterns, see #3 and #4. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...-effort-kill-massive-locust-swarms-biocontrol
#3 also something we (human species) have brought upon ourselves
#4 the polar ice cap is melting, what do you expect to happen??
#5 earthquake activity isn't increasing. http://www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk/news/EQ_increase.html
#6 see #5
#7 see #10
#8 see #10
#9 you're probably vaccinated against it. During the pandemic 2009 - 2010, estimated 20% of the world was infected, but the death rate was low. H1N1 strain has been added to annual flu vaccines ever since.
#10 there are always new viruses, that's what viruses do. Monoculture makes food supplies and livestock animal populations very vulnerable... so again, something we brought upon ourselves with big Ag. (oops).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm not buying it for a second.

nothing new under the sun IMO. you wait until the Huns or Mongol hordes ride and then you've got some news...

people complain about flooding with rains, but do they ever wonder why? it used to be the land was covered by forests and grasslands in many places so the rains would get soaked up and buffered so they would not run off so quickly. now every farm field around here has been installing drain tubes and making sure the ditches are all scraped bare so that water runs off quickly. greed is the base element of it, and poor land management, but that is just what is happening.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I tend to believe that it is hubris on our part to think that humans have changed the world's climate. Do you really think you have the power to destroy God's Creation? The earth seems to have a way of resetting things when it gets too out of wack. Usually it means a lot of discomfort, sometimes even the extinction of several species. Ours may be next.

everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but i'm pretty sure there are plenty of examples for those who are actually looking to see otherwise.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are short-lived. What was normal in our youth and has changed doesn't mean much in global terms. Analysis of ice cores taken in Antarctica point to the weather patterns of the last 250 years being uncharacteristically benign, and things are finally swinging back to "normal".

People are screaming that greenhouse gases need to be reduced. CO2 is the largest percentage of greenhouse gases and we are actually at a low spot historically. Some scientists worry that if we manage to reduce CO2 to the levels that are acceptable to popular opinion, we may experience a massive plant die-off (which will inevitably lead to... what? A massive animal die-off.

The thing is, whatever your viewpoint is, you will be able to find expert testimony that you are right. Which just goes to show that NONE of us have the slightest idea what the &*()^ is going on.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I tend to believe that it is hubris on our part to think that humans have changed the world's climate. Do you really think you have the power to destroy God's Creation? The earth seems to have a way of resetting things when it gets too out of wack. Usually it means a lot of discomfort, sometimes even the extinction of several species. Ours may be next.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We are short-lived. What was normal in our youth and has changed doesn't mean much in global terms. Analysis of ice cores taken in Antarctica point to the weather patterns of the last 250 years being uncharacteristically benign, and things are finally swinging back to "normal".

People are screaming that greenhouse gases need to be reduced. CO2 is the largest percentage of greenhouse gases and we are actually at a low spot historically. Some scientists worry that if we manage to reduce CO2 to the levels that are acceptable to popular opinion, we may experience a massive plant die-off (which will inevitably lead to... what? A massive animal die-off.

The thing is, whatever your viewpoint is, you will be able to find expert testimony that you are right. Which just goes to show that NONE of us have the slightest idea what the &*()^ is going on.
You can literally prove whatever you want to.