Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would put it back into a retirement fund, rollover.

IF THAT WAS all I had toward retirement, there is no way I would personally take a HUGE loss in disbursement. the amt. lost is very high and taxes are paid on the remaining balance etc. after the fact. for me I can't ever do something like that unless it was a dire dire emergency.

but that is me lol

when Tony was toward layoff etc we chatted about his 401K and if he lost his job we would absolutely not touch it unless to the point of total loss. we would rollover and leave it for retirement....cause way down the road, when we get old, we know we will need that money.

but we are older now, so very few years left to stock up that 401K. if you are younger, you have saving time left...but for us nearing 50, my saving toward retirement is shorter so touching 401K is not an option I would do now for us.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It sounds like you already have a great plan. I would just sit on anything that's leftover. Keep it as an emergency account.

G

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
It sounds like you already have a great plan. I would just sit on anything that's leftover. Keep it as an emergency account.
And if inflation goes crazy, cash it in as gold :D

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree ... sounds like a great plan you have. Maybe add a cord of firewood or fill up the propane tank? Get a small solar panel for emergency electricity? Small $85 water tank to fill to have for emergencies?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Hang onto as much of it as you can, but buy what you need to help you make it, if you had no income for a year. Most important, think about your mortage payments. What if you couldn't pay it....type of deal. How attached are you to living at your current place...
those are just thoughts on it...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Too true!

Do you have a decent generator?

S

sunsaver

I would save it as cash, or invest in food or energy security: solar panels, fruit and nut trees. If you have a mortgage, you should put it all towards the principle, unless you are planning to move. Housing prices are declining, and you would take a loss if sold near term. A low yield but guaranteed savings account is the best bet in this economy. Many governments are under pressure to sell their gold. The price of gold could plummet anytime now, if this starts to happen due to the global economic crisis. And get rid of all your credit card debt. Thats like paying 3 times as much for everything. Using a card is the OPPOSITE of shopping for sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.