Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I didn't have a tax penalty because it was taken from my personal savings. And even if we take from the retirement and have to accept 20% withheld, it will only be temporary, because we won't really be in a tax bracket big enough to not see some of it back when all the return is finished. But I rather take my chances and lose some of my money than trust the system and possibly lose everything and suffer if things really do start shutting down. Honestly, I really think its better to accept the loss. A few days ago, people all over the country lost most of their investments, depending on how it was invested. Glad I pulled out of the funds we were obtaining and went to a guaranteed safe straight interest deal, but I'm leery of even that now. Honestly....what good are #s being controlled by other people gonna do any of us, if things change? I rather have a big fence, a few dogs and a bunch of ammo to tend to what all else I might have inside. But I say all that with full knowledge that next year, my tv might still have cable and I might still have this stupid computer to play with, etc...

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Nice Avalon! I save every penny I can, and can only manage 2-3 months in savings. But I think my piddly paycheck is a bit TOO small. But I haven't been laid off yet, so here's hoping I can keep scrounging!
I am a bit fortunate in my situation since I have a paid off house on the side that I rent out to a person I can trust. That helps a bit. Husband has a nice steady paycheck but I have pride and try not to allow him to contribute much to the farm. He already contributed the land and pays the mortgage so I want to make sure that I can supply the rest. I have 6 horses which act like an anchor at the moment. I had a riding student for a while which helped a lot but then she quit. I may try and advertise for giving lessons again. Our garden was a nightmare this year since hubby and i both put in 50hrs a week (he works out of state) and between that and taking care of the horses and chickens the weeds got a steady hold of my gardens. I planned my chickens out last year in a way that every 3 months I will have a new generation of layers and meat birds ready for processing. This christmas my cycle will be completed and I will go from there. By then the chickens will pay for themselves and yield a small profit which is great. I have waiting lists for customers already and cannot wait to expand further and further. We have bees too and I agree on the high startup cost. I am toying with the idea of doing firewood once I am unemployed. I could use to lose some weight and it is a good exercise. Downside is that you need to let it sit for a year before you can sell it. Now if only I could teach myself how to can and how to smoke fish. I think once I lose my job I will be on here more often and asking many, many questions. :p Thank you all in advance.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
accept a loss that I voluntarily give from my hard earned cash.
nope, not me LOL unless dire! :)

I make money, not lose it but of course that is so subject to how people view money etc. so best I can see is best to leave money matters to each family and then let them come moan when they don't have any left HAHA

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All I can say is I must have had the wrong investor and he was considered pretty good. I got what was considered a good return, but I NEVER got the return I am now getting. Keep all the money you want, but don't call me a loser because I have already won more than you know. Peace and goodluck to us all. Bye now.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rhonda I hope you didn't think I called you a loser because I did not.

I said people handle money different. and if that handle means a loss cause they did not think it thru, or investments got ya or whatever, then so bit it but in the end, everyone moans they got shafted usually....heck I moaned I got shafted a few times LOL

my farm is my investment also and I feel I have won thru life as you stated. that is a good thing! :)

to everyone, just think thru the finances...geez, it is your life mostly. it buys the home, the education, the healthcare if needed, the land, the livestock, the seed, etc. etc. and all that crappola needed for being a more SS lifestlyle....and don't for one minute think anyone will do it for you. take time and read about wise ways to 'save and make' money vs. just giving it away in penalities and taxes etc.

that is all I was trying to say in the thread and that is how I approach life when it comes to my finances.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your ideas, advise and concerns. This thread has given me alot to think about over the next few weeks as we formulate our plans. It definately won't be wasted. :thumbsup

Status
Not open for further replies.